Strawberry Advice

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Glenfish, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Glenfish

Glenfish Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    692B5269-A453-4201-BD90-55C8319B93DD.jpeg I recently introduced myself and my first ever greenhouse, I’d be grateful now for some advice on Strawberries.
    As we buy a lot of strawberries I’d like to grow as many as possible, Last year I planted the plants in the picture, I’m not sure if the variety, they didn’t really produce much fruit despite constant watering!
    So my question is whether and how and when to re- pot these plants and put them in the greenhouse, OR whether to buy alternatives etc

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Hi,

No expert on Strawbs, but I would say do both.

Your existing ones have so little room to grow, something much bigger is better.
    For the greenhouse I would say use any pot from 6" upwards per plant.

Also buy some new ones and try them and your existing ones in open ground or in grow bags, say 6 plants per bag, rather than confining them in small troughs.

Also carefully examine the compost around the crown and roots of those existing plants as Vine Weevil grubs just love such plants and they will easily infest and destroy the lot.

3. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Yes, you definitely need larger containers.

4. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,559
    Agree, you need bigger containers and a round of vine weevil nematodes in May is a good idea.

What I really wanted to say is that your wall containers are fab, the weathered wood looks very good against the bricks. Good stuff! :dbgrtmb: Since the amount of soil seems to be very small, why not try succulents and alpine plants there?

From 50 Ways Of Creating An Enchanted Succulent Garden In Your Backyard

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Glenfish

Glenfish Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +6
      Shall I re pot them now?

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,184
      Hi,

They say strawbs need a period of cold, so I would leave them outside for a couple of weeks while this current cold spell is on, and then repot and bring any you want into the greenhouse.

Leave some outside so you have a succession of fruits.

Those in the greenhouse will need hand pollinating with a soft brush, eg wifes makeup brush

Eeeek , PC world gone mad !! - am I allowed to say 'wife' these days ....!!

• Like Like x 1