Strawberry plant - leaves curling and spots

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by FionaJane, Jul 10, 2015.

1. FionaJane

FionaJane Apprentice Gardener

engineering
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi everyone, I bought six strawberry plants from B&Q a few months ago and whilst they were doing well, lots of runners and had begun developing fruit, they seem to have taken a turn for the worst. A lot of the leaves have gone curly and spots have appeared (see pic) I don't know what this is or what I can do about this. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Fiona

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      :sign0016: to GC @FionaJane

I do not know for certain, but, my first thoughts would be ... lack of watering, or, stress due to underwatering which has caused a problem.

Hopefully, another (more knowledgeable) member will be along that can give you advice based on experience.

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
        +12,352
        Hi

It could be two things I would need a closer look to say which one but I am confident to say one or the other :

Leaf Blight / leaf spot ( fungal problems) or leaf scorch (with all this sun and more so the heat)

• Useful Useful x 1
        • FionaJane

engineering
          Ratings:
          +6
          Thanks so much both of you, either sounds possible with the amount of heat we've had. Perhaps it's the wool pellets or maybe the blue pellets I put around the crown or base of plant that created that problem of fungus or maybe dead slugs... I have attached another picture, a closer one this time in case this helps. The problem seems to be on the underside of the leaf too.....

Thanks again x

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Useful Useful x 1
          • Spruce

Ratings:
            +12,352
            Hi,

looks like leaf spot (fungal disease) you haven't caused it by using the wool pellets or slug pellets , its caused by wet conditions, with this crazy weather hasn't helped and is soil borne.

Not a lot you can do , try and only water the plants in the morning so they have a opertunity for the leaves to dry out during the day .

The fungus is on and in the leaves so be careful that none are put in the compost bin as this will help to carry on the problem next year

How many plants do you have ?

How long have you had it/them ?

Are they in pots or the border soil ?

• FionaJane

engineering
            Ratings:
            +6
            Hi

I have 7 in total, and I've had them around 6months, one of them has been completely untouched by disease and that is the one that was left on its own in its own pot. The rest were placed in troughs (two groups of three).

I have now repotted them from their troughs into larger pots with new soil.

Do you think I should clip all the infested leaves of the plant? Will it die if I chop it's leaves off?

I suppose I should also take all the fruit buds off the plants to give them a chance to focus their energy on recovering.

Thanks so much for all your help. X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
            • Spruce

Ratings:
              +12,352

Hi

just leave alone pick the fruit and then get rid of all the plants and buy from a reputable source that will arrive disease free, I think your had the problem when you bought them
              http://www.kenmuir.co.uk/

plus thats the 2nd x I have had today , what happening on here :heehee: