Strawberry Planter Problems

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Smiffy, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Smiffy

Smiffy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thinking we would grow some strawberries this summer - not having grown anything edible before. I bought a terracotta planter and 8 strawberry plants from the local market ( type unknown ). I planted up the planter with drainage in the bottom a moist soil and compost mix with slow release fertilizer , and a pebble drainage column down the centre. I built up the compost and positioned each plant carefully in its place. The result is that all 8 ! seem to be losing their leaves and looking pretty sorry for themselves. Do you think they will spring back to life or do I replant? :confused:
    Advice and pointers would be more than welcome....as all 8 going belly up has me confused [​IMG]

TIA

2. cattwoman25

cattwoman25 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi smiffy

where have you put the plants ? are they inside or out

not knowing too much about strawberrys but i have used only normal compost when i repotted mine and have only fed them as they are now in flower allthough i did mix in a little blood,fish & bone with the compost

i did how ever over water/feed them last yr which they went brown and looked like they were about to go over the fence

[​IMG] so i threw them outside and they came back after a couple of months

im sure someone will help more than me

3. Smiffy

Smiffy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi CW25
    I had them in a cool well lit shed initially - but put them outside last Saturday to see if it would promote some positive growth - fingers crossed now.

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Smiffy, have patience, at this time of year they are just coming into growth. They should be fine.

5. Smiffy

Smiffy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Dave , seems like a lot of gardening problems stem from not having enough patience !

6. David G

David G Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi All

This is how mine are looking. The photo is not great but the flash is a bit strong for close up work. If you look carefully you can see what look like flower buds forming. I seem to remember somebody telling me to make sure they go out in the cold as they need that to ensure they crop.

I am sure somebody will remember.

Thanks

Dave

7. David G

David G Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Sorry forgot the photo

[​IMG]
    Thanks
    [​IMG]
    Dave

8. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Smiffy, the first rule of gardening is, be patient.

9. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    And I'm a second opinion on that David.

10. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,189
    I have strawberry plants in a strawberry planter. :rolleyes: They were normal size when I planted them several years ago and now only crop as tiny morsels ... but very tasty I might add as I pick them and eat as I walk past. [​IMG]

Here they don't get much cold and sometimes "fry" and I have to water two or three times a day but I've not lost them yet ... they seem to die and spring back to life, quite amazing actually.

I have replaced the top lot with a Japanese Wineberry, some sort of strange Raspberry which I prefer to strawberries.

Good luck with yours and don't give up hope ... I didn't! [​IMG]

11. Smiffy

Smiffy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks all for the replies....
    DavidGuy ta for the pics , yours seem to be doing very well. All 8 of mine have lost their leaves now. I have placed the planter in a sheltered sunny spot, now its wait and see time.