strawberry planters..differnt use?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by samsoph, May 5, 2012.

1. samsoph

samsoph Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    hi
    ive got two strawberry planters, similar to the ones pictured, i dont know if its my lazy gardening not looking after them well enough, but the strawbs they produced seemed stunted, i had more sucess with them just in square planters. my question is does anyone have any ideas of anything cheap that i can grow in them instead before i get rid of them?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,248
      I have exactly the same problem Sam :gaah:No more straws for me. If your planter is in a sunny spot plant the side holes with Lobelia single colour and Petunias in the top . If its a bit shady try blue Bacopa in the side and Nemesia in the top . All should show well into October .

• Like Like x 1
      • westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
        Ratings:
        +598
        I agree. The pots are attractive but don't really hold enough soil in the "pockets" and terracotta dries out quickly too. Don't be tempted to put herbs in or you'll have the same problems. I'd go for trailers too, aubretia, lobelia, anything recommended for baskets really. Depends where you stand them and whether you want the plants or the planter as the main focus BUT don't get rid of them unless you're very short of space.

• Like Like x 1
        • samsoph

samsoph Gardener

Ratings:
          +3
          thanks both for the ideas, glad there is an option to reuse these, as my one is quite nice, and glazed blue colour, would have been a shame to have got rid of it
          Thanks
          Gill