Strawberry plants

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by cameron gibson, Nov 10, 2023.

1. cameron gibson

cameron gibson Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody

I have recently taken on a very big plot which is amazing with lots of room. Currently there is a strawberry bed with plants 3 years old. Am I right in thinking they need to come out now and new ones putting back in.

any help would be really appreciated

2. infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Well, that is the perceived wisdom handed down over generations but I think its the growing ground that gets depleted. My view is that if there were to be a virus, it would transfer with the new runners. When grown with straw, it was the fashion to burn off the straw, leaves and debris, to 'clense' the crop

If you find rooted runners in your inherited plot, lift sufficient to plant up a new bed into clean ground. Plenty of organic matter, and water if conditions require it.This could be done now.

Unless the established bed is heavily infested with couch/bindweed/buttercups, I suggest you trim dead/dying foliage , in early Spring, and heavily dress the bed with compost or fym These should give a crop in 2024 while the new become established. It is also said not to allow fruiting in year one of the new bed, but I have never suffered by disregarding this, but you will not get a full crop in any case.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1