strawberry runners

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by cattwoman25, Mar 30, 2008.

1. cattwoman25

cattwoman25 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    good morning all

last yr i bought some strawberry plants off ebay (did'nt get many strawberrys)

i potted up 5 runners of the mother plant and kept them over winter in the greenhouse

i bought them in about 4 weeks ago and potted all 5 plants up into a 40 litre polypot

they have all more than doubled in size and are now producing flowers

now................... do i remove the flowers now to get a larger crop later this yr or do i leave them be ???

just one more question :D should i have kept the mother plant ? which is now resting in the garden bin [​IMG] i planted it with petunias and it just looked such a mess when it had all died off i binned it [​IMG]

many thanks
    lisa

2. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi lisa, my strawb runners are looking pretty good and producing flowers also I'll be interested to hear what to do with them. I'm sure someone will know! [​IMG]

3. cattwoman25

cattwoman25 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi dalbuie

we have no answers yet !!!!

im sure someone will help

:confused:

4. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Strawbs should be good for 3 years. 1st year, small crop; second year,good crop;3rd year not so good. Most people discard after 3 years.It's up to you whether you take off the flowers from first year plants, if you do you should get stronger plants for the second year. Hope that helps.

5. cattwoman25

cattwoman25 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    many thanks terrier i seem to have about 20 flowers so i think i will go for it and see what happens they might flower again later in the yr who knows [​IMG]

6. vegmandan

vegmandan Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow,you've got flowers on the plants already ?

You must have a great microclimate.

I'm envious :D

7. cattwoman25

cattwoman25 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi vegmandan

they are in the conservatory when i repotted them i mixed blood fish and bone in the compost which seems to have made them go nuts :D

i was quite suprised to get flowers so soon too

8. polytunnel

polytunnel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    whilst on the subject of strawberrys and runners, i seem to recall from way back when that you had to count ...was it one, two or three rootings away from the main plant to take a new plantling, can anyone clarify please