1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Strawbs! Do I need to start new plants?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Snorky85, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,964
    these plants were grown from runners last year. Should I start off new ones from the runners this year or should I trim them back and keep last years plants?

I didn't find I got that many strawbs-expected more. Not sure of the variety as the strawberry plant they were grown from was already on the allotment when I inherited it.

IMG_1909.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      Yes, please do.
      In my (albeit limited, compared to some) experience, the runners are the babies you now need to nurture.
      The parent plant will still flourish next year and maybe even the year after (or three) but, the whole point of throwing out those runners is the same as plants which throw out seed: the need to procreate :thumbsup:
      Another aspect to be aware of is: (dun-dun-dun!) The dreaded Vine Weevil :eeew: They LOVE strawberry plants and it makes no difference whether the strawberries are grown in a pot or in the ground; the VW will find them and lay their eggs. Therefore, those runners are your guarantee of plants for *next* year :blue thumb:

Even if you forget all of the above, just consider this: why *wouldn't* you take advantage of "free" plants? :dunno: ;) :heehee: Just don't separate the babies until you are sure they have rooted in some compost :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        You can Snorky....good reasons why you could :)
        However, I would start afresh. You said they have been there since you took over the allotment. Tired old plants despite fresh runners that may have been taken.
        For a couple of reasons I would start again.....one, you can choose the varieties you like. I would select 2 or 3 varieties.
        Two, your crop was not as expected. This could be for a number of reasons but one could be worn out plants :noidea:
        I would plant them elsewhere too.
        Over recent years I have replaced old blackcurrant bushes, old gooseberry bushes too with newer varieties. Crop yields now far exceed those I had before, esp with the blackcurrants. More compact heavier yielding plants. :)

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
          Ratings:
          +10,964
          Ah great thanks @"M" i'll make that my next allotment task then. Don't want anymore vine weevil problems!!! Noticed alot of the runner babies have got roots growing well so will hopefully get them growing quickly :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
            Ratings:
            +10,964
            Actually, good point @Verdun maybe I should just pick some new varieties which are better cropping. Will I be able to buy them now?!

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            :scratch: Not sure what this sentence actually means? Please would you explain it further? Taken? By what? :dunno:

• Verdun

Ratings:
            +17,487
            Snorky, go online and check the websites. The range of strawberry plants available is fantastic. When you can order and when supplied will be stated.
            I would go for a variety you know well plus a couple of new to you that excite you. However, when you have decided on them see what other suppliers say about them to get a balanced view of how good they may be. Good too to select for early, mid and late fruiting varieties.
            Again, take runners next year or second year ....planting elsewhere though :)
            You have made me lick my lips Snorky....I will be looking too for new plants:yes:

• Funny Funny x 1
            • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +31,885
              You will! :blue thumb: But, please do it sooner, rather than later.
              Don't know if you recall, but the other week I planted my runners in my veg trug (think someone, can't recall who, got confused and thought we were discussing runner beans? :dunno: ) and those babies already had some strong root "stubs" on them. They have taken like wild fire (probably because of the unseasonable warmth) and are definitely ready for potting on now. Most likely I will leave them in situ though. Back in the day, when I earned a bit of piece work on the strawberry fields, the farmer would let the runners ... erm ... for want of a better term ... "run"! Then he would lift the babies (after well rooting) for overwintering and use them for the following year's crop.

At the end of the day, you have nothing to lose and something to gain (even if only personal experience based on your situation, your soil, your environment, your climate :dbgrtmb: ).

Do it!!! :heehee:

• Agree Agree x 3
              • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                Ratings:
                +10,964
                Yep you are right @"M" ! If it doesn't rain tomorrow I will get out there and get it done! :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                • Like Like x 1
                • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +31,885
                  Please forgive my questions, but, aren't you making several assumptions here? :scratch: :dunno:
                  The first being ... the inference that the previous allotment holder didn't know much about strawberries (we don't even know the variety) and planted something less than worthy (worthy being subjective, of course); the second being ... the *age* of the plants (we have no idea how old, or young they might be) and thirdly, without evening knowing which variety they are, you have dismissed them in favour of buying some other variety!? :scratch: (Geoff Hamilton is turning in his grave! :heehee: )

If the OP is asking questions on runners, it is a fair assumption that they have limited/no experience of varieties they either "know" or which "excite" them. The question on runners itself implies a rather limited knowledge, at this stage at least, on how to deal with them, let alone suggesting they have an informed preference of variety; they may well have, but that is not outlined in the post. :noidea:

Of course, with a bottomless pit of money, let's all run out and buy whatever is the latest fad/fashion and bin the rest. But, to be fair, the question isn't about what *you* might do. It is about, what to do with the "runners" that these particular plants have thrown up (which suggests, to my mind at least, that they are healthy plants - they wouldn't throw up runners otherwise).

I totally understand your drive to inform based on *your* experience/s but I also feel, and believe, when starting out, it is best to address the question the OP has asked? In this instance: "Should I start off new ones from the runners this year or should I trim them back and keep last years plants?" To which a good answer would, in a nutshell, be: both! Start new from the runners and keep last years plants! ;)

Clearly you are passionate about your garden, your plants and what works in your environment; can't fault your enthusiasm! :thumbsup: However, I firmly believe, it helps to keep a sense of perspective to answer the question at hand.

When I joined GC, I was as impressed, in equal measure, on how to save pennies by propagation, as I was on which plant, where to plant, what conditions, how to care and why something would or would not work.

I would have been LESS than impressed with any answer which suggested I go out and invest in something I had neither heard of, or suggested I get "excited" about (what do I know of growing bananas? :scratch: do they excite me? :dunno: ) that just smacks of some marketing agenda which I refuse to buy in to.

@Snorky85 - you clearly have a prolific strawberry plant which wants to give you babies. The lack of fruit suggests, to me (a humble novice), that it is throwing its energy into producing babies/runners as opposed to fruit - for this year, at least. I'm no Carol Klein, but, save those babies, nurture the parent plant and I don't think you will go far wrong. Neither is going to cost you! The only *fact* I've been given on the matter is this: root the runners, then separate them from the parent so the parent plant doesn't exhaust all it's energy ;)
                  Should you have a particular variety which excites you, by all means go and invest in it and follow the same advice: if it throws out runners, think: "free plants!" :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 3
                  • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +5,890
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Verdun

Ratings:
                      +17,487
                      M, I respect your opinion.:)
                      My opinion too should be respected. :)
                      The forum is about opinions. Mine simply differs to yours but offered sincerely as yours is. Perhaps I have exceeded the remit re runners but that is me; I like to go a little further and offer additional advice that I feel could be helpful.
                      To me it matters not who follows my advice or another's.
                      Wish you well M :)

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +31,885
                      I do not believe I have disrespected your opinion; :scratch: on the contrary, I gave it enough respect to consider it, analyse it and respond to it.
                      Then, with due respect, that is where we shall agree to disagree.
                      It saddens me that you take that stance; because it suggests that you give advice without any care or consideration for the consequence.
                      By contrast, it matters to me a great deal that members of GC are given the best advice possible within the remit of the question at hand.
                      I would not have the experience and skills I have today - with many thanks to GC members, past and present - who cared enough to help me when I knew nowt! Caring enough that their advice was sound and "mattered".
                      Thank you for clarifying your thoughts on the matter. It is illuminating to know that it matters not to you who may, or may not, follow any advice you give :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
                      • Verdun

Ratings:
                        +17,487
                        For the sake of clarity.....it does not matter to me if people take my advice simply because, although I give it in good faith, people have a right to do something different. I dont take offence if somebody, anybody, chooses to ignore it. This is not who I am :)
                        I repeat, I offer advice simply to help :)
                        I would like to bring this matter to a close now:)

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +31,885
                        It's a forum; by definition, that means it all comments are open to discussion (whether we like it or not ;) ) :heehee:
                        For my own part, I have said my piece on strawberry runners :thumbsup: