Strelitzia from roots

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by sal73, Jun 4, 2012.

1. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Hi all , guys i need a bit of help and advice , last year I`ve planted 3 strelizias in the greenhouse , has we had a nice warm spring and decent summer they grown very fast , untill the big freeze of february kill them all ....
    Today i was cleaning the greenhouse and replece the dead plants with some annual , but I`ve descovered that actually the roots are still alive and have become huge , 2 of them still have the base stem , i gave a clean cut and it was actually fresh , but one didn`t had any base stem but just a big mass of roots.
    will the roots produce new shoot ? or i just need to bin it ?

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    It's up to you Sal ... but you must remember it will be 6-7 years before you see a flower.

3. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    the plants are 5 years old at the moment , the flower it`s not a priority is just the fact if the plant will produce new leaves or it will be a sort of blind roots .

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Its worth a try Sal - costs nothing.

If it does regrow from well established roots, it raises two questions.
    a) Will it grow fast - ie in proportion to its age and root size? and
    b) if the roots are five years old will this reduce the period of time to flower relative to one grown from seed?

Because I like the plant shape so much and regard the flowers as just the icing on the cake, I am tempted to try growing Strelitzia nicolai to get a bigger quicker foliage plant. I won't be growing it to full height, but otherwise are there any likely problems?

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,076
      I've never heard of root cuttings from strelitzia, I'm tending to think you need the crown in tact.
      It's the kind of plant you can divide, but I dont think it suckers.

• sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,998
      I totally agree with you Pete , what is look strange is the fact that the roots are still growing , I lost a strelizia before and usually the root just dry out , but this one it seams that didn`t stop growing , look at the picture is the one in the middle plus few more roots bit but I would say it`s the same size as the one on the right. When I planted them the roots where exactly the same all 3 in a 6" pot each and all had the same lenght , for some reasons now are all different
      [​IMG]

• pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,076
      Sal, some plants are more vigorous than others, its natural selection when grown from seed.
      Never heard of any other means of propagation for strelitzia other than division or seed.

• sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,998
      I think I didn`t explain very well :) , my point is should I keep the roots or bin them because no plant will ever come back , i don`t want to propagate them .

• pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,076
      Sal, its up to you but my thoughts are, nothing will grow without a crown, some kind of top growth still alive.
      If you just have roots, in my opinion they wont produce growth buds, but who knows until you try.:)

• sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,998
      my though was just that without the crown the plant was dead , but it seams that the roots are still growing , I was thinking that maybe is better to pot them rathen that leave in the greenhouse as I was reading that confine the root will stimulate the flower , I had the same story with the monstera dead to the crown digget out and there are new growing all over the roots . It`s such a pretty plant that is really painful to bin the roots .

• Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +55,157
      Sal, it's painful to bin a lot of things I may 'think' are still alive ... but I do and kiss them goodbye. :sad: Then I turn my attention to something that may really need my love and attention ... :love30:

• Like Like x 1
      • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,998
        Thank you Victoria , it`s hard to say goodbye to a plant like strelizia expecially because it`s ever so slow to grow and almost a miracle when it flower over here in uk , the weather at the moment dasn`t help a lot as well , but the it`s the reward of the challenge that make all this worth :).

• Like Like x 2
        • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +23,091
          The ones on the left and right look as if they're still joined together, whereas the ones in the centre just look like a collection of separated roots - is that correct? If so, they do look rather healthy, so my gut feeling is to discard the one in the centre and pot up the other two.
          The previous owners left behind a BoP that had taken a freeze. When I emptied the pot the roots were as mushy as the crown. Your roots look viable.
          Remember, Musa will come back from a freeze by way of pups (so I've read on the Banana forum) so this will be an interesting experiment. A Strelitzia will also divide naturally at the crown, but what sets that process off I don't know. Mine divided before flowering.

• sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,998
          Thank you Keith , that was my point , the middle one hasn`t got a crown , but the rooots are looking really healthy , that is what it made me think and have a go , I`ve replanted in the greenhouse but close to the home wall...finger cross , I`ve tryed to potting but no luck as they are about 2 feet long and don`t have any pot that size.

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +23,091
          Chuck the centre one - it's surviving on the nutrients that it has stored. It's quite possible that the same applies to the other two as well, but they do at least have enough material to make it worth investigating.