Strimmer

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by bluecob, Apr 18, 2009.

1. bluecob

bluecob Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a strimmer that has two strimmer lines coming out of it. The problem I have is that when I rewind it when empty it never ever feeds properly and gets trapped. Can anyone tell me how to rewind a strimmer correctly?

Thanks.

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    one cord should be wound clockwise the other anti clockwise. Wind it so that the cord is straight not crossing side to side.

3. modalconfusion

modalconfusion Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Ryobi 30cc petrol strimmer that I have terrible trouble with the line when I wind it on the spool. Both holes also have the arrows pointing the same way as regards the directions of winding the line on the spool. I have tried quality line but to no avail should I buy a quality strimmer as it is an essential tool and I have just moved to a house with a substantial garden.

The Ryobi was one of those tools which you can swap different tools ie. hedgecutter, blower etc.

Thanks

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Ryobi are basicly cheap and cheerful machines.

I would invest in a stihl for the strimming keeping the ryobi for use with the other heads (until it or they break).

Im not a fan of the one motor many heads principle as your then putting three or four machines workload on one engine.

If your going to be using it a lot then a stihl FS 87 will serve you well this machine has anti vibration unlike the FS 56 so youll have feeling in your hands after a few hours of using it.

If your strapped for cash then you could probably pick up FS85 on ebay for around £200 ish, a good bomb proof machine! I still have mine that I bought new seven years ago and although now a back up to a very large and expensive husquvarna it still works perfectly and will do the large machines workload easily.

5. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    edited

I found that re-winding new cord onto the Stihl Autocut C5-2 to be downright awkward. This is standard on the FS 38 and 45.

If you are doind a lot of strimming I have always found my brushcutter with the bike handles to be more comfortable to use. However the loop handle is easier when working in awkward places.

6. plant1star

plant1star Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I do like 'cow horn' handle strimmers. I used to have a FS120 strimmer with a tappy head. I had no problems with the cord or reloading it, and I could strim all day with it.

Have a look around at local stihl dealers, and hassle on the price. I have been known to get a piece of machinery for the price in the book including vat.

Hope this Helps!

7. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Ive neer understood the attraction of loop handles full stop.