Strobilanthes Persian Shield

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by JayneyG, Jul 20, 2009.

1. JayneyG

JayneyG Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, my lovely neighbour has just given me a pot of this. It's so beautiful!

I've googled it and it seems that it may not like the frost too much. Should I keep it in a pot that I can put in the greenhouse or cover in the winter or can I plant it out (it can grow a nice big size) and just cover it in the winter?

Any care tips much appreciated!

2. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Janey, as with many summer and 'patio' plants they were originally house plants. As our climate has become milder and plant breeders have produced more cold tolerant cultivars, Stroblianthes is one such plant. Like Coleus and Tradescantia (originally house plants)it cannot stand frost but can be left in a pot or planted for the summer(?)
    It should be dug up and potted and kept at about 5c. A windowsill would be ok, even a cold greenhouse might not be warm enough.

3. catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
    Ratings:
    +2,250
    Hey all! I am trying to locate one of these and having little luck. Does anyone have this plant and be willing to take a cutting for me? I don't mind paying for it if you do. Thanks!!