stuffed puffballs

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by wildflower, Oct 1, 2006.

1. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Stuffed Giant Puffballs

The following recipe is inspired by an idea contained in Richard Mabey's book, "Food for Free" (pub. Collins, 1972). Having done a talk about wild food recently, in which I mentioned puffballs and that I wanted to try the recipe, I received a 'phone call from someone who had been in the audience offering me some giant puffballs he had growing in his field. I went to collect them and was given twelve!! So I got my opportunity, and the family has been living on giant puffballs ever since!

Quantities
    1 smooth, white giant puffball
    2 rashers smoked bacon, chopped
    1 slice ham, chopped
    6 tomatoes, chopped
    1 or 2 courgettes, depending on size, chopped
    1 handful basil, torn up
    1 handful parsley, chopped
    1 tspn thyme leaves
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 tblspn oatmeal
    I used English bacon and ham, and courgettes, tomatoes, onion, garlic and herbs from the garden.

Giant puffballs

A stuffed puffball

Method
    Slice one end off the puffball and carefully scrape out the inside. (They are quite delicate so leave a fairly thick layer.) Chop up the scrapings.
    Mix all the ingredients together and stuff back into the puffball, replace the end and wrap the whole thing in foil. Place in a roasting tin.
    Place in the oven at 180 degrees and bake for about 2 hours.
    Slice and serve with fresh, local vegetables.
    This was too much for four of us, so we put what was left in the fridge and my husband had it cold for lunch the following day. He says it was even better as the flavour had developed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the above recipe a few days ago and that it looked interesting for those that have access to giant puff balls...

[​IMG]

3. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    what are puff balls never seen them in my life they look like mushrooms and were do you buy them from as the rest of the recipe sounds lovely would like to try it.

4. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You have got to go and collect them rosa..but dont collect anything unless you are certain what it is..or else you will end up in the hospital poisoned... :rolleyes:

5. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    were from are they mushrooms and can you buy them from the shops

6. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    wildflower, where can you find these giant puff balls, never seen them before. they look good enough to eat.

7. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    fancy i,ve just been told they are wild mushrooms picked in the country well thats me out and you cant buy them in the shops and you have to be careful and know what you are picking as you could get poisioned

8. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Rosa I used to live near fields and walk through them but never came across these mushrooms, makes me wonder if its something new.

9. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    fancy apparently you have to be careful and know what you are picking and i like you have never heard of them before