1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stump Grinding + Returf ?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by HarryS, Sep 28, 2018.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +13,260
    I mentioned in another post we are having some conifers removed . The trunks will be about 12" Diameter. The tree guys are also grinding the stumps out . Now having zero knowledge on stump grinding... I presume they grind the stump to say 4" below the surface ? Will this be ok for levelling with top soil and re turfing next spring :scratch:

2. andrews

andrews Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
    Ratings:
    +208
    When we've had stumps ground, the machine has gone down a good 8 inches - probably more

The process is a brutal and does make a fair sized hole.

I used the chipping/soil mix to fill in the hole but over time the wood has rotted and the soil level has dropped. I also have mushrooms/toadstools growing where the tree once was. Not sure if this is coincidence or due to the wood in the soil. I reseeded as soon as the hole was filled

To avoid this I would use new topsoil and move the spoil from the holes to one side for the wood to rot down for a year or so.

• Like Like x 2
    • HarryS

Retired
      Ratings:
      +13,260
      Thanks Andrew, the guy who is removing the trees wil also returf next spring. I'll make sure he grinds the stumps down to the best depth for turfing.

• HarryS

Retired
      Ratings:
      +13,260
      Just had the conifers removed and the stumps ground down before we went on holiday . As you say the stump grinding is a brutal process . It basically batters the stumps into hundreds of pieces. As soon as the tree surgeon saw the conifers , he said red spider mites was the problem . We have seen the tiny webs on the conifers for years , not knowing what they were . This very hot and dry summer must have put them in overdrive. By the time we had the trees removed the growth was 50% dead.

• Like Like x 1