StumpKiller

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Howard, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Howard

Howard Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have 12 tree stumps in an area I want to level and lawn.
    Looking for recommendations on a magic chemical/product to rot them down
    quickly. Stumps are Scots pine and Conker trees, if that makes a difference.
    Although the trees were cut down 5 years ago and sitting at the edge of marsh land
    they show no signs of rotting at all.

thanks
    Howard

2. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Try ants, they worked quite well on our tree stump, my daughter was on the attached hammock at the time and the tree fell on her leg, luckily it didn't break but she had to hobble for a while!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    The root out products are desighned to kill the stump, they dont rot them any quicker. If you want them out then get a tree surgeon/ contractor to grind them out.

4. greengiant

greengiant Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Now I'm going to get screamed at for this but I've heard a number on a number of occasions that diesel aids stump rot. You'd have to mash the top of the stump up a little with say an axe or chainsaw and then put a small amount in to soak through.

It might be worth having a look into it - ask around or see what google has to offer regarding this matter. :thumb:

5. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    It certainly kills them as it does most plants.

However being that it prevent/ hinders growth, then I imagine it would prevent fungus forming and stop insects that will erode and or rot the stump

6. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumb: You could get a tree surgeon to grind them out, but they will need access for the machine, not sure if you have access there... Or you could try this....

Available online http://www.selections.com/GF1911/deep-root-tree-stump-killer/

or garden centres

7. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    Any tree stumps I have had to remove I have done by digging around the stump, and then cutting, sawing or hacking away the roots one at a time until I am able to remove the stump
    It is darned hard work but very satisfying, and the largest stump I have removed so far has been a mere one foot across, so it might not be practical for even larger ones (unless you can hire Geoff Capes? :))
    OR .. get in a JCB??
    I think stump rotting is bound to take for ever and certainly wouldn't ever suit me as I am inclined to want an instant fix :)
    Greengiant ... your signature is very flattering and undeserved. However, I am more than pleased that you like my website :)
    Quite 'chuffed' really ......

8. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I am with Sam here... we have tree stumps everywhere here. We are patiently digging them up. Takes time and sweat, but I cannot really think of a better alternative. At least we are taking pleanty of exercise and piling up firewood! :D

9. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumb: I agree digging is best if they are small, or ground out by a tree surgeon if you can, but sometimes that is not possible..... But with this stuff you can cut the stumps below ground level, make holes in the stump, put the stuff into them. I usually leave mine 24hrs & then back fill with soil if I don't want to dig the ground.. I have done this successfully & grassed over said stumps & never seen hide nor hair of them again...!:D Plus they are bio-degrading underground..!!!!:thumb:

10. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Marley , stump out is simply amonium sulphamate and is a poison to stop regrowth it will not speed up rotting. The scotspine will not regrow however the hawthorn will need poisoning if its not going to get ground out.

Personally If Im not being paid to grind out the stumop then i pick axe away the soil around the base and cut it a couple of inches below the soil level. criss cross the stump with the saw and slosh 100ml of roundup to 2 litres of water over ( but only if the stump is likely to regrow) otherwise i just cut it low and criuss cross it.

The smaller stump grinders only need between 24- 30" of clerance and will easily fit through a garden gate, Ive yet to get a job were I couldnt drive one in.

If you go down the digger route then be very carefull you dont overturn the machine or bust a hydralic hose, stumps take a hell of a lot of power to shift and need a lot of care.

11. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    ;) Of course I know it is poison Pro.....!!! I also realise what you are saying too Pro but... I couldn't get a stump grinder to where mine was ... Yes not even a small one...!!!:rolleyes: So that is why I went down the poison road.... I didn't really have the room or the strength to do a pick-axe job myself either...!:eek::D

12. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    We are barbarians here... hoe, spade, and hatchet.

13. Howard

Howard Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    That stump killer does nothing.
    I have started digging them out, bit.......by bit.
    Should have a six pack soon, without the gym fees.!

Howard

14. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    :D That is exactly how I see heavy work in the garden! Fun and cheap way to keep in shape! :D

15. donmaico

donmaico Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah i think a stump grinder is going to be your answer Those stumps shouldnt regrow but it'll take years before they rot sufficiently to remove easily.