Stupid courgette seeds!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Kathy535, May 4, 2010.

1. Kathy535

Kathy535 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This is my third year of growing veg etc and I decided to try some different varieties of old favourites - such as ball courgettes. I've never had any problems with courgettes before, always nice and obliging and quick to grow but of the 12 seeds I planted (on edge, like the packet suggested), 3 have germinated fine; 4 haven't germinated at all, 4 have come up rotten and discouloured and the remainder are growing upside down! I didn't think this was possible but the white roots are heading skyward and the green leaves downward. I've corrected them and they are doing ok - but has anyone else had this happen?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I've had similar things happen with marrow seed.
    Not sure what causes it, I do know that sometimes deeper planting might help or a more stable germination temp perhaps.

Or maybe the seeds are duff

3. chengjing

chengjing Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It happend to me as well and I never had problem before. A few days ago I carefully sowed the second batch in very shallow seed tray and keep conpost quite dry, just checked them, they all start to come up ok.

4. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    You'd think Mother Nature would print onto the seed..."This way up"...:lollol::lollol:

Steve...:)

5. Kathy535

Kathy535 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    'This way up' indeed! I'll look forward to my upside down courgettes! Thanks for your advice, might try again with a new pack, I do love courgettes!