Sturdy perennials? Need some recommendations please

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by TheMadHedger, Sep 2, 2015.

1. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +246
    Can anyone recommend any really great perennials please, preferably something bushy.

They will be planted in a south and west facing border (more west than south!) in a slightly elevated area (300 feet above sea level) which can endure very strong winds in winter but due to the location (about a mile inland and in south Wales) doesn't usually suffer from excess cold (but can do at times). It also tends to rain a LOT!

I'd also like something which, if bought and planted soon, will flower next Spring and/or Summer (and even autumn if possible!).

Perennial plants that currently do well here: Buddleia, Anemones, Hydrangeas. I already have some cuttings of Hydrangea and Buddleia and could no doubt take some root "cuttings" from the Anemones, but I'm also looking for some variety and to introduce some new plants.

Must be colourful and flower a lot.

And, due to the wind (sometimes gale force) in my location, must be sturdy.

I don't have much money to spend so the cheaper the better. :)

Thanks

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,890
    It sounds like you are talking abut my area MadHedger! :doh:The only difference being I'm almost at sea level and living on the coast, so some of my plants will probably be suitable for you. I have learnt in recent years that it's better to grow shrubs and herbaceous perennials as the winter months can be so destructive.

Some plants I have that may suit your area....

Lupins
    Lavender
    Roses, but not large headed ones as the wind tends to take them off.
    Sedum (Ice plant)
    Knautia Macedonica
    Aquilegia
    Dwarf Iris
    Spring and Summer bulbs from Snowdrops to Daffodils , Dahlias and Agapanthus.....take a look below. :)

https://www.google.com/search?q=sum...oTCOm4xL-k2ccCFUXPFAodxaEPDw&dpr=0.95#imgrc=_

The Lupins, Lavender, Knautia and Aquilegia can all be grown from seed to keep cost down and all will flower in their first season if grown at the instructed time. :)

Escallonia and Potentilla are both hardy and can be grown as hedging or individual plants. There's also Berberis and Ceonothus.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
      +246
      Thanks very much, I'll look into all of those. :-)

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1