Styrax Japonicus

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Freddy, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,518
    We visited Tatton Park today, do visit if you get the chance. There are lots of stunning trees, but this one caught our eye. Also known as the ‘Snowbell Tree’.
    IMG_0713.jpeg

From the web…

IMG_0714.jpeg
    The phone photo really doesn’t do it justice, but the blossom was something to behold, highly scented too. Going to invest in one for the garden :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Angelina

Angelina Super Gardener

Translator/Teacher
      Ratings:
      +1,081
      Styrax May 2022 01.jpg Styrax May 2022 02.jpg
      The pictures come from my garden (May, 2022), but I have a question about this one.
      End of November last year we were covered heavily by snow, the trees had not yet shed their foliage and lots of ours were brutally damaged.
      My styrax had invariably been a tireless and profuse bloomer, quite flexible. After heavy rains it would bend almost to the ground (but not break!).
      Last year's early snowfall got its trunk broken right in the middle. I thought it needed some cutting back, but even in my bravest attempts I wouldn't have been so hard on it.
      My question: Does anyone know if I can maintain it like a tall-ish shrub, rather than a tree?
      If I have been observant enough, it blooms on old canes and this spring I won't be expecting too much of it. It prefers acidic soil and mine suits it fine.
      Any insights about its pruning and maintenance will be welcome.

P.S. The garden is in Sofia, Bulgaria. Don't be mislead by its southern location - although summers are hot and sunny, winters are much harder than in the UK (with absolute minimums of 10C-15C below zero). We are not getting the benign climate effects of anything like the Gulf Stream here... :)