Successional planting

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by HsuH, Mar 13, 2013.

1. HsuH

HsuH Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,257
    When doing successional planting or sowing is it advisable to avoid reusing the same area for the same crops? For example if I take out a batch of radishes can I sow more radishes in the same area? Same applies to pak choi and lettuce.

Observation suggests to me that the second crop doesn't do as well as the first but this could be due to changes in the seasons.

Any views?

2. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi

An interesting question. Most of us will practice crop rotation, year on year. Personally, with salad crops I would re-use the same spot, but adding a bit of feed beforehand, Growmore is what I generally use. I suppose another factor is how much space you have. I have 10 8'x4' raised beds, and I devote one of those to salad crops which I find is enough without having to grow follow-on crops in exactly the same spot. Hope this helps.

Cheers...Freddy

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      I keep the same type of crop in the same place for a year, so yes, successional sowings go on the same bed.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • HsuH

HsuH Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,257
        I tend to keep the same crop on the same place for the season but I'm rather nervous about doing so because cabbage root-flies and mealy aphids are big problems for me. No sign of the little blighters doesn't mean they are not lurking around. My usual practice is to plant, cross my fingers and pray, and the result .... :love30: :phew:

• Like Like x 1