Such a shame

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Vince, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    I've got to destroy so many plants...........

Due to injury and illness myself and Carol have been unable to "sufficiently" work our ex allotment. So we've received our Notice to Quit.

Tomorrow we're making the first of several trips to remove already planted veg, landscaping fabric, raised bed and our shed plus contents.

We won't be able to restore the plot the the condition we found it in cos I'm not prepared to bury more carpets and doors!

I've managed to find homes for about 70 of the 500+ plants destined for the allotment, but that leaves 400+ now consigned to the compost heap.

So goodbye allotment and hello bottom of our garden :)

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,991
    Sorry to hear that Vince. Shame you can't rescue them all, how about offering your excess plants to the other allotment owners rather than compost them.

3. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Vince there's guy across the road who through ill health thought he may have to give up is allotment,he took on a younger guy who does all the manual work is learning off the old guys experience the old guy is organizer and caretaker, they share the produce and costs it works very well.

4. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Oh Vince what a terrible shame by any chance is your plot on a council run site? they always seem very eager to kick people off more so than on private run ones.

What Walnut wrote is a lovely idea and should be encourage in fact it is something I have stressed for a long time on our site but a few people say it just couldn't work out I totally disagree through a vetting system it wouldn't be too much hard work matching an physically fit person with a not so physically fit person but who has knowledge and of course a love of growing their own.

I think there also should be smaller plots available for people who work a 40 hour week or through illness can't manage a full size plot but want a small patch to grow their own veg as it's such a shame when someone who really does want to be out in the fresh air just can't manage a big plot.

Sadly these views fall on deaf ears as our site doesn't welcome newbies easily which is a great shame.

I hope Vince that you will still be able to grow some kind of veg even if its in pots.Hel.xxx

5. Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    I've managed to cajoole my next door neighbour and my mum into small veggie plots, found some more room in my already cramped back garden, I've rescued what I could from the plot, the potatoes are a write off though and I was trialling them :(

Yes it's a council allotment run under "Committee" management and the committee made the decision.

In all fairness they were within their rights........ however, I noticed today that a senior committee members plot was NOT being worked sufficiently, wonder if he'll send himself a notice to quit?

It broke my heart digging up all my veg today.

Yeah I'm a bit bitter about it but nowhere near as bitter as Carol who forked out on all the wood, topsoil, manure and compost we had just purchased to add loads more raised beds. She wanted to SBK all the committee members plots but hasn't, we're up the plot tomorrow to dismantle and remove the shed, the SBK is still there so I better keep my eye on her? LOL

6. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Can't you appeal? It seems such a shame that you should lose out just because of a setback. Obviously I don't know the full details of the circumstances, but if you had veg growing, raised beds built, fresh compost etc in there then that sounds to me like it was being worked pretty effectively.