Suffering Grass

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Irmemac, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,686
    Have finally got old garden wall replaced, however grass is a complete mess. The grass is buried under mud, cement dust, gravel and sand. It is also under an overhanging apple tree so was a bit thin anyway. Any advice on how to ease its suffering? Tree is getting pruned in a few weeks so grass will be trampled over again then. I'm not sure how best to help it.
    20170917_160633.jpg

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Not too much of a problem Irmemac :)
    When the tree is pruned and the "trampling" all done then rake the soil to the grass level removing stones, debris etc. You could rake in a little fish blood and bone too. Firm with your heels and rake again. Raking and firming is best way to settle and level the soil. Then sow seed....half the amount one way, lightly rake it in then half of the seed in the opposite direction. Lightly rake.
    It is good time of the year to sow grass seed. Dont let it dry out. Grass should show in 2 weeks :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Jimcub

Jimcub Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +614
      I know how you feel been under mud and cement for 12 months now, just doing path and excess soil will help raise garden by 18" to level it.
      I'm going to regrass it but not this year, as it's a long job for me.

• Like Like x 1
      • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
        Ratings:
        +5,368
        Taking into consideration that your climate is going to be similar to here, I would suggest that if you wish to keep the apple tree, then wait until late Winter to prune it. Plant the new grass seed after that. Saves having to possibly redo it. Oh, and choose the type of grass seed mix carefully.

• Like Like x 1
        • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,830
          Given that you live in Scotland, I suggest you do what @Verdun says but wait until spring. Might be a little late for sowing up there now.

• Like Like x 1
          • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,686
            Thank you folks. Good advice re the grass @Verdun, as always! That sounds like a good plan. Jim, it is horrible, isn't it! We only had the builders in for 5 days and it was like having an itch under the skin.
            Sandy, now I am a bit worried about the apple tree. It is very precious to me as my grandad planted it here about 50 years ago, and it was be a very sad loss if anything happened to it. It is vastly overgrown, and I am concerned about late autumn gales, which we are prone to, blowing it down. I certainly want to do the best for it, so could wait for late winter if you feel that is better. January sometime, perhaps?
            Redwing - good advice. It is getting pretty nippy here in the mornings and evenings. Last night I could see my breath!

• Jimcub

Jimcub Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +614
            5 days a mere wisp we had them in from June to September and structure was not finished until January, ground works still ongoing as we down sized to a larger house and garden as you do.

• Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
            Ratings:
            +5,368
            @Irmemac as the tree is obviously important to you, I would strongly suggest that you got a local arborist with a good reputation to take a look at it for you. He or she would be able to give you far better advice after seeing the tree.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,686
              What a nightmare. Can't imagine coping with that. Interesting definition of downsizing!

• Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,686
              Sandy, hadn't ever considered that, but you are right. Will investigate, as the tree is worth a lot to me. Thank you :thumbsup:

• Friendly Friendly x 2