Sugestions for good 2nd hand ride on mower

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by silu, Mar 11, 2011.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I was wondering if anyone could advise me please. I have an ancient Wheelhorse (Betsey) which is about 40 years old. While she still goes, the deck is mostly holes and she is really beginning to fall to bits understandably. I have a grass area of about an acre, mostly flat but 1 bit is quite steep. I was horrified to see the prices of new lawn tractors so need to find something 2nd hand. I don't now need something quite as sturdy as Betsey and probably couldn't affordeven a 2nd hand machine of the quality she had been but don't want some flimsey arrangement either as I live in the county and it will need to do a bit of hard work. I think my budget would struggle to go above say £2500 max. The grass needing cut is NOT bowling green quality by any means..I wish, so the machine doesn't need give a superior finish. Any suggestions of good 2nd hand makes or even those to avoid like the plague would be very usefiul. Thanks very much.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,984
    I got a Toro Wheelhorse on ebay for about £200, it worked fine and seems a quality machine. I sold it on to a friend who had it serviced and it's been going strong ever since.