Suggestions for good healthy annuals, or summer bedding.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Canna W, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Canna W

Canna W Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    I grew some nasturtiums from seed this year, and whilst they are flowering with gusto, they are nevertheless looking really manky. Their leaves are mottled and they are covered in blackfly - attempts to eradicate this with a strong mix of detergent and water hasn't worked.... The only way these plants look nice is as cut flowers on the table.:dunno:

I want to sow more seeds next year. Annuals, or plants grown as annuals. Can anyone recommend some good garden plants grown from seed, that will look good in both flower and foliage? I've realised that I really love healthy looking plants :dbgrtmb:

2. kyleleonard

kyleleonard Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +950
    I give my nasturtium a trim every couple of days cos they seem to grow rapidly, just to keep them looking as nice as possible.

What I have grown from seed this year, which haven't died before they got big are; Sunflower, Nasturtium, California Poppy, Wallflower, Marigold (these are huge), Cosmos (also huge)

3. Canna W

Canna W Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    You mention a whole host of lovely sounding goodies. Cosmos strike me as a plant that looks good throughout the summer. I am very smitten with marigolds too. What is their foliage like as summer goes on? Does it stay fairly healthy I wonder?

Thank you tons for the tip about cutting back the nasturtiums. I will do that today. What a brilliant idea!

4. skinner

skinner Gardener

Dogsbody
    Ratings:
    +23
    Phlox drummondii ( Tapestry Mix )... stunning, mostly pastel coloured combination. Easy to grow from seed, last for ages, and you won't get the black-fly problem.

[​IMG]