Suggestions for Pot Risers

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Februarysgirl, Aug 24, 2024.

1. Februarysgirl

Februarysgirl Gardener

Ratings:
    +262
    I should be finishing of the stone effect on the plastic planters shortly and I need some suggestions for DIY plant risers. All in all, I'll need at least 104 so I need a cheap solution and would need them to be around 5cm high to bring the planters more level with the raised beds. These are the planters I'm using https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BWS6HY77?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title

2. flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
    Ratings:
    +1,909
    A number of cheap options spring to mind. Those little pots they use for cacti would work out fairly cheap, upside down they would be quite stable, as would cut down yoghurt pots or cola bottles. I've used these so I know they work and can be painted with acrylic paints.
    Or, do what I did, buy a 3d printer, spend best part of four years learning how to use it and design your own! This, BTW is not the cheapest or most time effective method, but i just wanted to mention it's what I do now!:heehee:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +1,033
      I use off-cuts of bits of wood or bits of the thick polystyrene packing that you get when buying appliances and the like.

• Like Like x 1
      • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +4,477
        You must have a lot of planters @Februarysgirl if you need that amount of feet, assuming you're doing one at each corner of the trough.
        Have you got a pic of the stone effect you're doing? I tried looking at your previous posts, but wasn't able to access them.
        Would it not be easier to make a single raised section of some kind to match the stone effect? Even two rows [front and back] or a small platform with drainage holes, of 5cm concrete that the troughs could sit on?

• Like Like x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +92,040
          Just buy a couple of lengths of treated 2x2 timber and cut it up to what lengths you want.
          Maybe paint it if it shows or even cover exposed areas with the mix you are using for stone effect.

You could screw the timber to the bottom of the planters before filling them.

• Like Like x 1
          • Februarysgirl

Februarysgirl Gardener

Ratings:
            +262
            Thanks for all the suggestions :smile: I went backwards and forwards on the ideas and just as I was about to place an order for some wood, I took another look at the planters against the raised beds and the 5cm height just wasn't going to be enough. Took a look at some bricks and they actually had some charcoal grey paving blocks that were on sale, cheaper than house bricks. Unfortunately, it means getting out the mini circular saw and I hate using that thing.

@fairygirl I've had to buy 28 planters in all! Thankfully they're pretty cheap :heehee: I've been to-ing and fro-ing on what technique to use. I was intending to add cement to paint but kept dithering over it as I'd need to keep making small batches to avoid any chance of it setting. It all seemed a lot of work. I did eventually find this technique How to Faux Finish A Plastic Flower Pot | DIY Home Staging Tips which seems much easier and more idiot proof :heehee: I'm going to add some play sand to it as well, just to give it a little texture. The garden being a severe disappointment this year, I just haven't been motivated to do anything out there. I pretty much gave up on it a couple of months ago and I've only just gotten around to putting the primer on the planters.

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
            +8,039
            Wow- how many planters do you have? :yikes:

Perhaps there is something useful in your local freecycle forums, like old bricks? If you don't mind nipping to Newcastle, I can give a pile of paving slabs for free :)

One thing I have learnt is that if big plastic planters are raised just from the sides the bottom will eventually crack from the middle. A nice Tetris work to support the weight evenly whilst allowing a good drainage is needed.

• Informative Informative x 1
            • waterbut

waterbut Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +153
              As they have small feet I would go with Selleri and lay paving stones under them.

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
              Ratings:
              +4,477
              I think it would have been cheaper, and easier, to make concrete planters! Some timber for the shuttering [you can even get offcuts etc from B&Q just for a donation] to make two sizes, and then some of the ready made concrete mixes, or a mortar mix and some pea gravel, to put in the space. You wouldn't need feet at all as you could have made them the height you want. You could even have used cheap plasket boxes as the shuttering, and you could have different sizes for different spaces if they're not all for a long run :smile:
              28 is a huge amount, even at that price. I hope you can get a solution though, but I don't think I'd have had the patience to dress up 28 small plastic troughs!

• Februarysgirl

Februarysgirl Gardener

Ratings:
              +262
              @Selleri It sure is a lot if planters! Thanks for the tip about supporting the middle, that didn't occur to me :oops: I think what I'll do is support the middle with some pipe as the planter has a drainage hole and I don't want to block it. That can be a next spring job. Once these planters are finished I'm done for this year. Wouldn't mind seeing Newcastle but OH would not appreciate the drive! Paving blocks are already purchased :smile:

@fairygirl I'd say that concrete would most likely be cheaper but I bought things in drips and drabs so I haven't really noticed the cost. Fortunately the paving blocks are on offer at 38p each and I'm using two per planter. Not sure about the easier part though. I used concrete for the first time last year and I did not enjoy the experience! I had trouble enough with 20cm round(ish) stepping stones (it was a good job I was going for a rustic look), anything more than that would be far too stressful. With painting, I can sit on my backside and do it at my leisure which is far more my style :biggrin:

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
              Ratings:
              +4,477
              I hope you can get it all sorted @Februarysgirl . I understand about not liking the concreting. I suppose I've done a fair bit of it in my gardening life, so it doesn't bother me, other than the mixing, which is why the new ready made stuff helps a good bit!
              I often get the ready made mortar mixes, and buy gravel separately to mix in, but recently, when I needed to do more work by the shed, and was short of materials, the workmen who had been digging up the nearby road [again...] had left a bag of cement on the pavement. It was a dry spell, so I took the opportunity - moved it right under the hedge/trees in case the rain came on, and then took the car, parked across the road as it wasn't possible where the cement was, and hoiked it across and into the boot.
              I hate to think what folk driving by thought, but it was well worth it! :biggrin:

Re supporting your planters - they aren't big, so I doubt you'd have too much problem with that. I suppose it depends on how sturdy they are though. It'll also depend what you're planting in them.

• kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
              Ratings:
              +4,647
              I bought a big bag of black cobbles for doing that exact same job. Very cheap and worked a treat.

• Like Like x 2
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • Februarysgirl

Februarysgirl Gardener

Ratings:
                +262
                @fairygirl I'm going to be making some concrete flagstones for the front garden at some stage. The plan is to use heavy duty ready made concrete mix for the corner that the car always drives over and mix up the rest myself. Since they'll be random large shapes, I feel reasonably confident that I won't make a mess of it! Don't blame you for taking advantage of the abandoned cement, I wonder if the builders ever came back looking for it :heehee:

They don't feel overly sturdy but I'm only planting Vinca Minor in them.

• RowlandsCastle

RowlandsCastle Keen Gardener

Ratings:
                +3,325
                I have used various items to raise planters. Painted wood is good, but for those long plastic planters - or even concrete ones, I use bricks, sawn in half lengthwise.
                A building site might get you some, or anyone having an extension or wall built.
                I find sawn breeze blocks a waste of time.

• Februarysgirl

Februarysgirl Gardener

Ratings:
                +262
                @RowlandsCastle I ordered some paving blocks a few days ago from Wickes. They were 38p each so can't grumble about that. The £12 Saturday delivery smarts a little but unfortunately it was unavoidable. I don't drive and although OH does, he only has a Ford KA which is very limited in terms of what and how much it can transport. Technically, it was supposed to have arrived by 3pm but it's now passed that and from looking at the tracking map, I don't anticipate it arriving for a while yet.