Suggestions for Scented Plants and Herbs for Windowboxes

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Jungle Jane, May 11, 2014.

1. Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    So the nature park I volunteer at have asked me to come up with a list of plants that are scented for 4 small window boxes they have bought so visitors can smell them as they walk up the ramp where they will be situated.

I have been given a brief of basically plants that "smell nice and some herbs and flowers" as well. Chives, Thyme, Lavender and Mint come to mind but there is a slight problem. These boxes will be very exposed to the elements, particularly the wind and was wondering what other members thoughts were on this.

Any suggestions are also welcomed. :)

2. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Helitrope (Cherry Pie),Verbena (Peaches and cream,really does smell like peaches and cream too)Nemesia and dwarf Pinks come to mind and they should withstand the wind:blue thumb:

3. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    I think Thyme would be ideal that you have mentioned already , and you can get different colours .

Rosemary will add some height as well and will also put up with a exposed site

As they people brush there hands over the top wont harm them and will enjoy the position if given a gritty well drained compost plus no need to constantly water