Suggestions, please for a very sunny patch

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Honey Bee, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    I have a thin strip of border, about 8 feet long and 1- 1.5 feet wide along the back of the pond. One side is paving along the back of the pond - the back is the back fence (concrete gravel boards at the bottom) We have some climbers going up the fence, but I need inspiration for the ground cover. I want preferably evergreen - but can be persuaded otherwise. It is a very sunny and hot spot, and was wanting something good for the frogs and pondlife.

Any suggestions?

(down the left and front is the path to the greenhouse, and the right side is the bog garden running into the Tropical jungle.)

2. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Pachysandra, Evergreen ferns....too many to choose from, Rudbeckia off the top of my head x:gnthb:

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumb: Hi Honey Bee,if you want flowers how about...
    Gaillardia (blanket flower) really bright & jolly & sunnier the better..
    Veronica, it is very tough & so many different ones you could probably find several so that there was always one was in flower..
    Various Alpines from House Leeks to Stonecrop to Campanula..
    Several Euphorbias are very low growing too the best I think is Euphorbia myrsinitis.. I have some of these very attractive..

:wink: Cant really think of any more at the minute, hope they help..:thmb:

4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    What about some Osteopermums, Honey?

Can the little critters (not the boys) clamber around in them?

Here's a pic of one of my clumps this monring just waking up from winter ...

[​IMG]

5. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Honey Bee

You've already had some good suggestions but I can add a few. Sedum spectabile and crocosmia do very well in full sun and can survive even when they're crowded in narrow strips of soil.

Victoria

Those osteospermums look great - makes me think of summer

6. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Crocosmia are stunning. I plan to grow some this year (never grown them before but seen them in other people's gardens). I particularly like Crocosmia Lucifer (despite its ominous name:) ). Here they are:

http://images.google.co.uk/images?h...&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title

There is also a rather stunning bright red lobelia that I once had but it never came back after winter one year. I can't remember its full name but it was about a foot tall and had spikes of the brightest red flowers I've ever seen.

7. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I have wonderful Crocosmia Lucifer here, that do well at the back of a hot sunny border, in clay that bakes hard in the sun.

Clueless, the lobelia you mention might be Queen Victoria, but they're better suited to a damp border or by a pond. I agree, they're beautiful and lovely for late summer. The slugs love them though and they can be a bit borderline (mine seem to be re-appearing though).