Summer pruning cordon apples

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Robert Bowen, Jun 13, 2024.

1. Robert Bowen

Robert Bowen Gardener

Ratings:
    +187
    I planted a row of cordon apples in December ‘20 and each year i find a wide variation in the advice on when to summer prune , anything from mid July to late August. I am interested in learning from other cordon growers when you find the time is right to summer prune - i find my trees are vigorous with fruit and new shoots and i have pruned by late June to let light and air in , but am i creating an imbalance for the tree next year.

2. Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,030
    Yes, I found the same re. when to prune.

I wait until new growth on the shoots has pretty much stopped then prune, which here is Essex is usually sometime in mid-late August.
    I summer prune my apple trees too at the same time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • DiggersJo

DiggersJo Keen Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,466
      Can I ask why you think this could be the case? As I understand it (not went to look it up) you only prune "X" amount of the new growth and this will not impact next years fruit. As the squirrels take nearly all our apples it matters little to us, but there are always lots of marble size apples for the vermin.

• Thevictorian

Thevictorian Gardener

Ratings:
      +367
      I always thought it was mid to late August for apples and a bit earlier for pears which might be where the conflicting infomation comes from.

• Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +1,030
      From the many articles I've read, I think the idea is to wait for the current year's growth to be complete or almost complete before summer pruning.
      I treat apples and pears the same - and cordons or trees.

I'm guessing that if they were pruned earlier, then the tree/cordon may respond by producing more new shoots very late in the season which may then be damaged by winter weather.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Robert Bowen

Robert Bowen Gardener

Ratings:
        +187
        Thanks everyone , it looks like i am too eager to prune primarily as there is a lot of new growth each year but by so doing i am still wondering whether such early summer pruning affects next years performance . So i am going to sit on my hands til mid August and prune then . Whether the cordons will perform differently next year as a result , i shall wait and see.