Support for A Level Engineering Product

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Nathanty1, Nov 15, 2022.

1. Nathanty1

Nathanty1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    I am an A Level Engineering student and the product I am creating will be based around gardening, specifically on watering and making an automated system so I can water plants every 6 Hours, 12 Hours or 24 Hours for 2/4/6 seconds at a time.

If anyone has any expertise on this area, any help or support will be really appreciated!

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
  3. Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,769
    Hi.

Such systems already exist. Watering on a schedule might not be the best option. It might be better to use moisture sensors to decide when and how much to water.

If you wanted to be clever, you could have a single, low cost sensor array monitoring light level and air temperature, with one moisture sensor in a sample pot of compost, and something like a raspberry pi running a bit of machine learning to calculate the optimum watering regime. Even if it doesn't work that well, I'd expect you'd get good marks for trying, depending on your course assessment criteria.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1