Swede, from Seed

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Fat Controller, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +48,878
    I am a poet, and didn't know it!

I am considering giving over the flower beds to veggies this year - one, because all the annual flowers are a pain in the bum at times, and two for budgetary reasons. So, I am considering growing swede as part of that, and wondered if they are best sown direct into prepared ground, or started off under cover to seedling stage and then transplanted? Any other tips for a good harvest?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,370
    I'd say direct sown, not heard of transplanting, although these days they transplant just about anything.
    Swede grows easily, but one for a bit later on I'm thinking.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fat Controller

Public Transport
      Ratings:
      +48,878
      I was thinking to sow late March or into April?

• pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,370
      Not sure, years since I grew swede, but used it as a winter veg, sown I'm thinking around late June early july to stand in the ground all winter.:scratch:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +48,878
        Oooh, so I could get lettuce in for a wee while before it....

• pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +84,370
        Well wait and see what others come up with but I think if you sow too early it will bolt, likewise if you transplant.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +45,636
          I reckon swede should be sown direct early June. They get pretty big so need space, they are very hardy so you can pull them up as you want through the winter.

• Like Like x 2
          • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +8,371
            Yes you can sow swede late May / June, frost doesn't bother them. I think a frost adds to the flavour unless I am thinking of something else ? might be parsnips.

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
              +8,083
              I grew Swede last year, sowing about late May time and that was plenty early enough even up here in Scotland. Germination was very good. They grew fine in not great soil and the 1st couple I lifted were very tasty. I left them in situ and was looking forward to having them mashed with loads of butter and black pepper to accompany Haggis over the winter months. However my plans were completely ruined by......... those damned things with antlers which decimated pretty much the whole crop. Certainly not a difficult and very hardy vegetable to grow with few problems UNLESS you have anything resembling Bambi lurking about in Ashford!
              Before the 4 legged "locusts" descended we did eat some of the young leaves as you would Spring greens. They are really quite nice if you like cabbage. Don't take too many leaves off as that might affect the size of the roots tho.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
              • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
                Ratings:
                +3,698
                I sow Turnips early on, end march start of april in soil that has been under black plastic, I sow lettuce next to them, re-cover with the plastic until germinated. Harvest Turnips in June, lettuce been and gone by then. Now sow lettuce in the turnip space and swede where the lettuce was. Four crops one space, and two brassicas grown, but not in same space so less chance of club root.

Grow radishes too in between the swedes, spring onions with the lettuce..lol

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 1
                • JWK

Ratings:
                  +45,636
                  Turnips are a bit different to Swede in that you need to eat them younger and smaller for the taste. I grow them successionally starting in March, as Steve says. Swede on the other hand are a big hardy winter veg that you leave standing all winter - unless you have deer like silu!

Have you thought about winter radish @Fat Controller ? They are easy to grow and don't take up so much space as Swede. There are some interesting colours and sizes, Mooli for example.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                    Ratings:
                    +48,878
                    I must admit that I have never heard of winter radish @JWK, let alone think about growing it - radish makes it sound as though it is a salad type food, and we don't have a lot of salad in the winter, so I am a tad unsure........ can they be used for the likes of soups/stews etc?

I don't have a massive amount of space to dedicate to this, so am looking to sort of maximise what I can get, particularly if I can use a space for one thing, then move on to something else after it (lettuce - - swede being a nice idea); no Bambi relatives around here @silu, just tons of birds, squirrels and foxes, but I doubt any of those would be interested in munching swede.

I would love to grow spring onions, but on the two attempts I have had so far, I haven't had much luck - germination hasn't been fantastic, and even those that did germinate never really got to a reasonable size. I was growing them in containers though, so wonder if they might do better in the ground?

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                    +8,083
                    Spring Onions I too find a bit trcky for some unknown reason. Maybe it's a seed thing ("bad workmen ie me:) blame their tools".
                    I either have good or dire results. I grow mine in the greenhouse in containers which works best up here. I used to live in a massive commercial greenhouse area which had been dedicated to growing tomatoes before the Dutch ruined that industry. There was 2 acres of greenhouses in front of my house and they were used on and off for growing Spring Onions, commonly known in these parts as Sibies! They were grown in unfertilised soil and seldom watered. This suggested to me that they either like fairly tough but warm conditions to grow in or perhaps more likely the growers couldn't be bothered to maximize the crop!
                    No advice @Fat Controller re winter radish I'm afraid. Someone gave me an elderly pack of Mooli seeds. With nothing to loose I sowed them a couple of years ago. Either they are incredibly slow to germinate:snorky: or the seed had gone well past it's best, who knows:scratch:.
                    Last season I grew cauliflowers (started off in pots in the greenhouse which maybe you couldn't do?) planted them out under cloches in Early April and they were ready by end of May, I then used the space for swede. Admittedly swede may not be the best for you if space is a premium. Leeks take a good while to grow to a good size but you can harvest wee ones and use as similar to spring onions, don't take up much room and can stay in situ over winter. They are usually quite expensive to buy in comparison to swede so maybe they would be an alternative, also carrots are really quick can be eaten young and little space needed between each plant. Personally as home grown carrots are so superior to shop bought I'd grow those before swede. I'm just very lucky to have the space to grow pretty well all I want.

• Like Like x 2
                    • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
                      Ratings:
                      +3,698
                      Yes Mooli can be cooked, great in stir fries as well as in salads, I grew some 2016/17 overwinter in the polytunnel. Germination was good and quick and they grew to around 18 inches for me (3-4 inch diameter) Can be pickled too.

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 1
                      • Informative Informative x 1
                      • JWK

Ratings:
                        +45,636
                        You can grow the normal salad radish over-winter too but they lose their taste, so are a bit watery. The winter radish varieties are very different to the salad types, being much bigger, tastier and tougher. Have a look for Mooli in the supermarkets they are pretty expensive there as they look exotic but in fact easily grown in the UK.

• Informative Informative x 2