Sweet chestnuts and maggots!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Daisies, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    One of my biggest delights this time of the year is to get a bag of chestnuts in which to indulge myself. Maybe it's my imagination, or seeing things through the old 'rose tinted specs' but it seems that more than a third of the nuts available these days (no matter where from) have maggots or are bad. I have several questions:

1. that kind of bug is this?

2. are they pretty much inevitable or is there a way one can avoid contaminated nuts?

3. Is there a way one can roast chestnuts without actually building a bonfire? I've seen things like these ceramic pots advertised but I only have an electric oven. Has anyone managed to roast them in a domestic oven?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dasiees,

We had a pot like that, it broke in the fire. No reason you cant do them under the grill or in the oven. you'd need to turn them under the grill though.

Couldn't find any decent sized ones here this year & not got around to bying any yet, but i'll inspect them carefully before I do.

3. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,663
    Good evening Daisees are they like this, if so they taste quite sweet and are an aquired taste:hehe:

The Chestnut Weevil
    [​IMG]

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Daisees, I like to buy chestnuts off a proper greengrocer or the markets. The supermarket ones always seem to be 50% bad or worse, or they don't last more than a few days before going all hard and rotten.

If you have a gas hob you can use a chesnut roasting pan,which is what I use, they are only about £10. It takes about 5 minutes to cook them, basically its a frying pan with big holes so the gas flames char the chestnuts yum!
    [​IMG]

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :scratch: Well I roast mine in the fire Daisees, but I have to agree with you at least 50% have to be just plain binned as thy are rotten or have weevils... No I don't remember them being that bad years ago, but maybe they didn't have to travel so far in those days...

6. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Did Spain have a drought this summer ?

7. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    We roast them in an electric oven - 15 minutes on an oven tray, remembering to make a cut in each one first.

Then the, oh so much fun, of shelling/peeling the little blighters. Yes, the supermarket ones seem to have more bad 'uns amongst them.

8. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Before I got the chesnut roasting pan I used to microwave them. They need 4 minutes on a low heat with a pause of 30 secs every 30 secs (otherwise they go bang and make a hell of a mess)

9. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Thanks guys - interesting ......

10. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a bag of chestnuts from Morisons after squeezing every one in store, much to the interest of the security guard who always follows me round the shop.

No weevils, very moist & no bad ones & that was just the security guard.

[​IMG]

11. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    So I went to Morrisons at Bracknell and guess what, they have no chestnuts but plenty of security guards :). Next stop Tescos and they only had a few left - all loose, I carefully picked out the best looking ones and ran a quality check tonight in my roasting pan, and they were lovely! Not a single bad one. Ziggy's right, it's better being able to pick them over yourself.

12. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    I got a bag from Asda yesterday ,and yes I checked everyone . Going to do then tomorrow when we cook the turkey ..

Dave

13. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Interesting - only bagged ones up this neck of the woods!