Sweet Pea Curse

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Slinky, May 4, 2008.

1. Slinky

Slinky Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    For 2 years now have been trying to get these fragrant beautys to florish,last year[no photos i,m afraid] I done evrything by the book basically Tender loving care......No joy they just died.

So this year tryed again and just let them get on with it...................Neglect lol

Still no ruddy joy,what am i doing wrong???????

[​IMG]#

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Help me

2. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Slinky, I sympathise. I had the same problem. This year my sweet peas finally took. Don't know why at all, I did nothing different. At last I decided to pop a couple into the border last week to see how they got on. Have you ever seen a slug with a smile on its face and wearing a napkin? I still have half a dozen in pots for when my beer traps get that slimy little butter.

3. Slinky

Slinky Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sarraceniac buddy,Theres no way slugs could have got to the sweets, as they were on the patio 1st time round,this year next to shed ive laid a mine field of pellets.......Lol

Its a crying shame as i was brought up with sweet peas..................Hence the frustration

4. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    I am a member of the same club - no matter what I do to get them to grow, I fail.

Not actually true, as once we did have a lovely show of them the whole summer long, and the more I picked, the more they bloomed. Since then, they have refused to grow.

I think the main problem is that they need a different place every year. Failing that, a complete change of the soil in the old spot is needed. They don't agree with themselves. That is probably the wrong term but I am sure someone will come along and tell us the correct one.

Anyway, I have tried that too, many times, but it didn't work any more. Someone has put a hex on my garden, as far as sweet peas are concerned.

5. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Slinky. I was not suggesting that slugs got yours, just telling you my tale of woe. I'm with Kedi and just wanted to show that I am fated.

6. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    It looks like Mildew, to me. We suffer from this but only later in the season when they've almost finished. The spores remain overwinter so I make sure I clear all the old leaves away and sterilize the troughs and trellis with Jeyes fluid at the end of the season. I think you're supposed to leave space round the plants for air to circulate. On my trellis there's not much air space. Where I work the trellis is free-standing (not pinned to a wall) and I don't get any problems there. Hope this helps:)