sweet peppers

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by auntie, Aug 5, 2006.

1. auntie

auntie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    mine our outdoor9King of the North, I think)So far they are only at the flowering stage- a bit late. Anyone else growing them and how are they doing

2. Matty Boy

Matty Boy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi auntie,

I'm afraid I don't know what variety mine are but they're in pots in the greenhouse, the plants are about 2 feet tall. They have been flowering for a couple of weeks now and I have several tiny green bulb-like baby peppers starting to push. Very exiting!

I'm interested to know what can be done to keep the plant growing. Or do they have an optimum height? Can anyone advise?

3. timecharger

timecharger Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure, but my guess is to pinch them out at some point. Mine have started sprouting smallish green peppers...looking forward to my first ratatouille!

4. Big T

Big T Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've grown sweet peppers for the last couple of years with mixed success. I have come to the conclusion that you really need a heated greenhouse, well in East yorkshire you do, so that you can get an early start.

I've never pinched them out as I have found that they grow into a small bush. The height has varied with the variety. I have some greek banana peppers plants nearly 4 feet high and some round peppers on plants that have only reached 2 feet and seem to have stopped growing upwards and are bushing out.

Best wishes BigT
    http://brassicabill.blogspot.com

5. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    We've grown them for several years in an unheated GH, though start them in a heated propagator. They are fairly late to crop and usually well behind the tomatoes.
    This year we are growing three in a polytunnel and they have only recently set fruit.

We have never pinched them out either.

6. PJ

PJ Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am up in Aberdeenshire and I have various pepper plants- absolutely no idea what types- and have everything from big green peppers to the wee buds, so not sure just how much is going to crop, as the days get shorter. I may have to bring them in the house. That's what happened last year- they just started cropping when autumn set in and they gave up. Guess it's quite ambitious to try to grow peppers this far north.

7. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hi PY fae anither Aeberdonian moved fae Aeberdeen a lang time ago.
    I am furthe r Sooth
    fit yi gan ti di wi a yir peppers di yi hae a good recipe:).

8. PJ

PJ Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Scotkat,
    Fit like?
    I plan to use them for stuffing (with home grown sun dried toms, rice and other veg).Or for salads. Or I quite like jist munching them in the greenhouse. Much of my various crops dinnae make it back fae the gairden.
    Cheers!

9. auntie

auntie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    perhaps I'm not so far behind as I thought. last year I grew red grilling peppers and they were ready for eating in early august(outdoors that is)Perhaps its just the rubbish weather we had earlier