Sweet Potatoes from store bought tubers

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Isandri, May 20, 2013.

1. Isandri

Isandri Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I bought some sweet potatoes a few days ago and because they were so tasty I've been reading up on how to grow my own. I understand that they can be difficult to grow in colder climates but it is possible. My problem is that I can't find anywhere that sells "slips" in Denmark. Has anyone grown sweet potato slips from store bought sweet potatoes?
    After searching online it seems a lot of sweet potatoes have been treated to prevent slips growing but if they haven't it's looks fairly easy to get the slips started. I know it's probably too late in the year to start growing slips for harvesting but I'm tempted to give it go just to see if it works.

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried growing them by cutting the sprouting bits off but they never came to anything really, too cold for them here I guess.

3. Isandri

Isandri Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    If I can get them started I'm thinking about growing them in a conservatory. Failing that my brother in law lives 5 minutes walk away and has a green house.

4. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,090
    I bought some plants last year fom B&Q but I guess that's no good if you live in Denmark.

They looked quite tropical but never produced anything edible. They were grown outdoors in a huge pot.

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I've grown them in a greenhouse. It took ages for the Slips to form on the tubers, I suggest you start around October / November to be ready for the following Spring.

Stick 4 cocktail sticks in the tuber (all around in a circle) about 1/3rd to 1/2 way along. Dangle the short end into a glass (the cocktail sticks supporting it on the edge of the glass) and keep enough water in the glass to cover the bottom 1/3rd, or so, of the tuber. You want the eyes upwards, if you can tell which end is which, but if not I think the tuber will accommodate and cope :)

You can then use the Shoots as cuttings to start a plant off.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      I thought there was some special variety sold for growing in colder climes because the stuff in the supermarkets needs a much longer growing season than can be achieved in the UK (or Denmark) and it might be called something like T** or something like that - an alpha numeric reference rather than a name. I tried it once, failed and gave up

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      I have bought, and grown, "beauregard" from the garden centre in the past. Dunno if that is a variety bred for cold-climate though?

• Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Googling for what I tried found this

As a Telegraph subscriber I seemed to have missed this offer http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/3340236/The-good-life.html

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      Ah ... I remember "T65" now you say that :) Not grown it though.

The name "beauregard" reminded me of the sorts of varieties of Veg that Hyacinth Bouquet might grow!

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +91,981
      I've tried growing from shop bought sweet potatoes on one occasion.
      They grew reasonably well, but never came to anything, I was more interested in the plant any way.

• Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,997
      It reminded me of this character

[​IMG]