SweetPeas in Tubs? What about their ROOTS??

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by SpringsHere, Apr 27, 2008.

1. SpringsHere

SpringsHere Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Morning Chaps,

I like millions of others love the look and fragrance of SweetPeas. I want to plant them with tall supports in tubs. Would this work? A friend of mine who knows everything (or so SHE thinks......)about gardening says they are no good in tubs becaue they have very long roots! These tubs are:: 13" tall by 14" diameter. OR should I just bung 'em in the garden?? I raised these in Greenhouse from seed and very proud of 'em so far...

Springy
    xx

2. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    hi springy
    i dont see why your friend says you can`t grow them in tubs,as long as they are supported and well fed they will grow in a tub,the roots are pretty fine it`s not as if you have a solid mass pushing down

3. SteveC

SteveC Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    We have two large black tubs on our patio. They're probably a bit deeper than 13" but I always use them for the sweet peas. I put a tripod thing for them to climb and off they go. They do get fed weekly in the summer - as do all my containerised plants. I even won first prize in the village flower show for a bunch last year*

Steve

(there was only one entry mind :D)

4. SpringsHere

SpringsHere Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    for this. In that case, I'll plant the tubs up tomorrow. I think also, I'll feed them with the wormery liquid fertilizer - it's very rich and they should do well. The seedlings are about 15cm (6") tall now with mostly 3 - 4 pairs of leaves. Is it too late to pinch out the top pair of leaves?

Springy
    xx

5. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    I have not pinched mine out Springy maybe I should have got mine in a pot with wigwam canes.

Post a photo of yours at the stage it is for now and I will do the same.

6. SpringsHere

SpringsHere Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Scotkat...

Anyone else know please whether I should pinch out top pair of leaves?

Thank you

S