Tackling an overgrown allotment with a bad back

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by DiggyBob, Feb 21, 2012.

1. DiggyBob

DiggyBob Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Hello, I am tackling a new and very overgrown allotment (brambles) - despite a history of back problems (disk prolapse). I am trying out some new tools and techniques and documenting it all on my blog An overgrown allotment versus a dodgy bad back please feel free to look and comment.

• Like Like x 2
    • chitting kaz

chitting kaz Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,616
      :dbgrtmb: wow doing a fab job there

i dont envy you with the brambles they can be a nightmare !

keep up the good work and hope your back hold up :dbgrtmb:

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
      Ratings:
      +3,702
      Welcome to GC Bob!

Steve...:)

• miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,389
      My attention is rather on the disk prolapse than anything else.
      I think that you are doing an excellent job on the allotment, judging from the pictures, but I just hope you work on it for a short period each time.
      It is all well to keep in exercise, but not a good idea to overdo it.:nono:

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +122,463
      Excellent job :dbgrtmb:

I've got to go and have a rest now! :heehee:

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,090
      Fabulous. I'm impressed - much better than our scruffy allotment!

Your doc has probably told you - knees bent, let your legs take the strain, abs engaged, back straight, and gentle stretching before and after.

• DiggyBob

Ratings:
      +6
      Thank you all

Thanks for all the replies, I feel very welcome here.

You made a good point miraflores and indeed I limit the time I spend in any given session to no longer than about 3-4 hours with lots of breaks for stretching. I do know however that since starting in January, my back and torso has become much stronger and solid thus protecting my spine from a lot of the shock. My physio told me to excercise to strengthen my back and abdomen muscles and I can vouch for the fact that it works as long as you start off slowly and build up.

My progress has been down to the tools and in particular the Azada which does a lot of heavy work but doesn't put the same strain on the back as a spade would. The long handle and the trick of levering and pushing away from yourself instead of lifting up with the arms as with a spade is both very efficient on tearing out the bramble roots and kinder on the back.

Looking forward to actual planting soon!

• Like Like x 2
      • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
        Ratings:
        +3,702
        Just a suggestion Bob...but it might be an idea to make a topic in this section Gardening For People With Disabilities

It may help others in there if you do, show a photo of the tool and a photo of it in operation and your topic could help others.

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 2
        • madmick

madmick Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +25
          Hey Bob welcome to the mad house have you thought about wearing a weight lifters belt they cost about £10.00 from Argos I know what your going through as I also suffer with back problems I have an epidural injection in my spine every 6 months to ease the pain. I found the weight lifters belt a great help cheers Mick

• catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
          Ratings:
          +2,250
          Hi Bob and welcome to GC. I'm impressed at your progress with your allotment and I'm sure the neighbors are as well. You will soon be reaping the tasty benefits of all that hard work!!

• Lottie

Lottie Apprentice Gardener

Business Owner/marketing and mentoring
          Ratings:
          +5
          Hi Bob, and welcome to GC. I am also fairly new here - I got my allotment nearly four weeks ago after a five year wait! Unfortunately, I am battling a chest infection and haven't been well enough to go digging yet! :wallbang: It's very frustrating when you can see spring springing :sunny: and you've lost your bounce!

I am fascinated by your Azada :WINK1: What is it and how does it work exactly?:scratch: Can you let us know if you post pictures as per Steve R's suggestion? Because I'm fading away, :( anything that will make it easier for me to work the soil when I'm better will be a blessing!

• Like Like x 1
          • DiggyBob

Ratings:
            +6
            chittin kaz, steve r, miraflores, shiney, Madhhalia, madmick, catztail, Lottie thank you all so much for your messages and suggestions...

I have decided to try to put something together to show how I have used the tools to get the job done with pics, maybe even video!, I hope to put this up soon and will post details.

I am looking into the weightlifters belt suggestion also, thanks madmick.

Lottie, I really am sorry you got stopped in your tracks, I hope you bounce back soon, I also would be really frustrated in your situation.

I will also post to the gardening for people with disabilies topic, thanks verty much for the suggestion.

It's all a bit hectic right now so please be patient with me if I don't come right back.

• Like Like x 2
            • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
              Ratings:
              +7,341
              Oh $eity NO to epidural for pain
              My wife had that after a hip operation, and has been in a wheelchair since,
              No compensation as it clearly states in the form you sign to accept that this could be the outcome

The outcome is significant, no more gardening, no more life, no more holidays
              We were looking forward to a great retirement, Holiday insurance is too expensive, nights out are just not worth the effort, Fun does not exist
              Wife is OK she lives by the Polly Anna film what is for you will not go bye you
              Me I am angry very angry

Yes we have holidays, expensive cruises, as that is all that is left for fun, as it does not entail stairs or stepped curbs, and not a lot of wheelchair pushing which is No holiday, Stuffed away from everyone else at meals or the room
              Do not want to embarrass them do we, eating with a cripple
              The amount of people who ask me "Does she take sugar", There is nothing wrong with her brain it is her legs no longer work FFS

Sorry all

Jack McHammocklashing

• Like Like x 2
              • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                +28,997
                That's what I use for earthing up my spuds. Can't imagine why I stooped with a spade to do it for all those years prior to getting one.

• madmick

madmick Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +25
                Sorry to hear about your wife Jack I,ve been having them for the last 4 1/2 years every 6 months if I did'nt have them I would'nt be able to function needs must Im affraid Mick