Taking cuttings and growing a Laburnum tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by keithhampson, May 23, 2012.

1. keithhampson

keithhampson Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Is it possible to grow a Laburnum from a cutting? I want to grow from cuttings, if it can be done what do I need to do?

alsocan I grow any trees from cuttings?

Keith

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,892
    I know it can be done Keith, but I would have to guess how. Try taking cuttings from this years new foliage between 4 and 6 inches long and strip off the lower leaves. I'd then dip them in rooting powder and plant them in pots of soil. I would also try a few in water to see if they take that way, they will take a good few weeks to root.

Although Laburnum as young plants grow fairly fast, it's going to take a good few years for you to gain a mature tree. Good luck! :)

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    I've never heard of Laburnum cuttings, I think its usual to grow from seed or graft the varieties.

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    You want Laburnum "Vossii" - they have massive and impressive flowers. Stuff from seed will, most of the time, be disappointing by comparison.

"Vossii" always seems blinking expensive to me, so I suspect it is only grown by grafting. (No reason why you can't do that yourself though, but probably not worth it if you only want one, much more worthwhile if you want enough for a group or avenue, but you've got a long wait until you have a decent sized small-tree)