Taking Cuttings

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by carlnorwich, Jul 23, 2008.

1. carlnorwich

carlnorwich Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I planted a new hedge using Buxus Sempervirums, it's getting on very well, however, I'd like to fill it out a bit.

Obviously I'm a complete novice asking this question :o, but, can I just take a cutting from the hedge, plant it, water it and hope for the best?

Thank you in advance.

2. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi carlnorwich

Semi hardwood cuttings. Either stick them in a pot with cutting compost and some sharp sand, or stick em in some soil in a shadyish place. Don't let them dry out.....some will live, some won't.

Semi hardwood is the bit that isn't brown, nor light green, probably last seasons growth yea. But it's pot luck in any case.:thumb:

Some people will suggest using rooting power, others will suggest a different medium of compost etc Why not take a few and treat them all differently to see which method works best for you.

Good luck anyway.:thumb:

3. Dave_In_His_Garden

Dave_In_His_Garden Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I tried a few the other week - spirea, fuschia and azalea. The only one that doesn't seem to have taken is the fuschia. I literally just stuck them in pots with some rooting powder and cutting compost. So far, so good.

4. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Dave regarding fuschia cuttings I always cheat and put them in jars of water to root and it seems to work really well for me.Hel.xxx.

5. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    My puppy has produced 4 new salvias and 4 new Cistus for me this summer (He basically trampled the plants, before binning them I took curttings and now have 8 new plants growing - clever puppy!) With the salvias I left them all in water for a week until they had rooted - mind you I have done Salvias before , they have been going strong for about three months then suddenly died - I hope this doesn't happen with this lot.

6. Dave_In_His_Garden

Ratings:
    +1
    Hel/Ellie,

I have tried the water thing before and they just seem to shrivel and die on me. Any top tops to get the roots to appear?

Ta!

7. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
  8. Dave_In_His_Garden

Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers Tweaky - isn't it funny though, that Hel's fuschia and Ellie's Salvia are not listed in the easy plants to root in water! I guess a lot of it is trial and error!

9. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Yup, but that's gardening for ya....good eh:thumb:

10. Dave_In_His_Garden

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, it can certainly be a trial, and I often make errors! ;)

11. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Wow that all looks complicated - I just cut bits off stick them in some rooting powder, then in a pot (usually john ins (sp?) No 1 and see what happens - some take some don't - the only reason why I left the salvias in the water for a week was because the dog had wrecked the plant but I did not have time to do the cuttings, I left them in some water until I did which was a week or so later, most of them had died but a few remained and had rooted - they are still alive but I don't know how they'll fair.

My mum does geramiums every year but I never have any success with them as cuttings

It cost nothing to have a go so trial and error is definately the key. x

12. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Funny you should mention geraniums ellie.

I presume you are talking about house plant gems that can be planted outside during the summer etc.

Those are really easy to propergate. Just take a cutting below a leaf node or leaf. Remove the leaf and any other large one's and pop them into compost on your window sill...any window sill, they will soon root. Ensure that the stem is a new one, and not last years.:thumb:

13. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Wow guys that has giving me a right big head as I thought it was so easy for everyone to take fuschia cuttings via the water method, although I must admit not all do 'take' but the the vast majority do although I do sit them on the kitchen window sill that doesn't get full on sun all day long.Hel.xxx.

14. Shazzyfromozzy

Shazzyfromozzy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I pinched 2 cuttings from a friends fuchsia and I stuck them in water on the window sill...I just went and looked...they have roots...yayyy

• Creative Creative x 1
    • tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
      +3
      There is a new scheme out....obtain cuttings when visiting garden centres. heh,heh.