Taking Images of Tropical Fish

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by wiseowl, Jan 17, 2013.

1. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,663
    Good afternoon my friends,as you will probably know I just love my Photography and recently have a new interest Ie Tropical Fish which is all new to me, can anyone help me in obtaining decent images would really appreciate any suggestions:) Thank you

2. Tee Gee

Tee Gee Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +172
    Unlike you Owl I am no photographic expert, but a few years ago I visited "The Deep" on the Firth of Forth and like the typical tourist I started taking pictures and like you I wasn't quite sure on how to get a good shot.

The tanks containing the bigger fish were quite dark to replicate the light in the sea I guess, whereas the smaller tanks containing tropical fish, were much better lit!

As I was only visiting for an hour or so I had to click and hope for the best, but with you I guess you can play about with light and film speed if you want.

What I did was switched off the flash facility on my camera to avoid flash back from the glass, and set the camera to aperture priority and left
    my camera to do the rest.

These are some of the results, as you can see some are better than others ;

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd27/tgalmanac/Tropical fish/

p.s. I tried uploading individual photos into this posting but it didn't work????
    In the end I linked you to my "Photobucket" page...Tg

• Like Like x 1
    • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +91,663
      Many thanks Tee Gee my friend for sharing your photo's and for your advice,your images are certainly very good I shall try Aperture Priority and switch the flash off as suggested might try manual focus as well:)

• Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
      Ratings:
      +3,035
      Another thing you might think about Woo is a polarising filter to reduce unwanted reflections.I've used one on a digital video camera and a DSLR to enable me to photograph fish and reduce sunlight reflections.

• Like Like x 1