taking up alawn and laying gravel

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by aggie, Nov 8, 2006.

1. aggie

aggie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    im doing a job for a mate got to remove turf and lay some gravel down area im doing isnt level but as a slight slope would it be ok to lay this like it is or do i take the slope away

2. aggie

aggie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Really depends on how much of a slope it is - you don't want the gravel sliding down.... :D

4. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    You could do what I do and lay chippings. NOTE TO ALL: Unlike gravel, chippings don't get stuck in your shoe treads, tyre treads (unless under 10mm), don't get kicked about, can be plate compacted to resist traffic, don't slide down hill outside of geological timescales, and most importantly to anyone with obsessional hygeine issues - and I hope your keyboards are nice and clean for your replies - don't get used as a toilet by cats. Now why did you buy gravel?

5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Jazid is 100% right there!
    I had to change my front garden for exactly that reason!

6. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I accept Jazid's points, but I have never had any problem with 20 mil gravel. If the slope is slight there is no technical reason why you should not keep it. Mine was undulating, so I smoothed it out because undulating gravel would have irritated me.

I would put fabric down first. Many people think that fabric suppresses weeds. It is not really designed to do that. It was originally designed to stop the gravel (or stones/rocks) sinking into the wet mud. Thats why it is used under motorways, airport runways etc. A thick layer of gravel will stop the weeds.

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    The only trouble with gravel it eventually fills up in between with detritus and weeds start to grow it is a good idea to periodically rake it over

8. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Yes, but not those from seed that land on top..... Whatever you do, weeds will come, there just won't be so many, and you can keep on top of them!

9. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi PeteS,

I think it was designed as a multipurpose retaining material originally - the bonded rather than the woven fabric. Stops embankments sliding downwards, roads collapsing, etc and came to be used as a weed supressant later when us gardening types cottoned on. I think it works a treat, but not the nasty woven stuff, that is seriously horrid and supresses my enthusiasm more than the weeds. I don't think much of the cheap garden centre textiles either, for me they are too thin and rip easily unless a lot of care is taken, but at least they are available in small quantities.

Agree with you about the gravel supressing weeds if thick enough ie more than 2 or 3" - and then the soil and much doesn't build up over the geotex - the only prob is your feet will sink into the stuff as you walk over it, traversing it becomes a visit to the gym, and ugly footprints are left everywhere. 20mm does deter cats but doesn't look as nice as 10mm IMO, but chippings win hands down every time for me, and they aren't usually more expensive if you use local materials.

10. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi Jazid. Strictly speaking the thick bonded material called Terram was originally designed as a replacement for hessian carpet backing. But it failed in this and a market in geotextiles was created as an alternative. The thinner bonded fabric started life as a substrate for dispoable panties amongst other things. The fabric was glued and then covered in cellulosic flock (fine sawdust). I worked in the same labs and developed a more bulky product for use in tie interlinings. But we found that the subgrade product could be sold for three times the price as capilliary matting, which didn't really exist at the time. The moral of all this is that you never know how things are going to turn out. :D

11. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Hi
    I lay a lot of gravel and then after about 3 to 4 weeks i,m called back to remove it.
    But horses for courses,it really does suit some situations,I allways use a weed suppressant and tape the joins.
    As long as the gradient is gradual it will be fine.Gravel does not need cuttig but grass is better to fall on.

12. macleaf

macleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    gravel is also not friendly for the wild life