Tall and Lanky Impatiens

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by greenmouli, Aug 2, 2008.

1. greenmouli

greenmouli Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All!

My Impatiens (Impatiens Balsamina) seedlings grew tall and lanky - with few expert suggestions in forums, I moved them to a brighter place and they've given out their first true leaves but my worry is that their stem is too long and thin. I've read in many forums that the tomato stems can be buried. Can I do the same to impatiens. I'm afraid of losing them at this stage, as all of them are looking healthy except their long, weak stems. Can I bury the impatiens' long stem into the soil leaving their 'seed-leaves' out? Any suggestions?

Mouli

2. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    DON`T do that!!

To my knowlege only a few plants like this treatment. Toms do, for some reason, but I have a feeling that impatiens would just rot and die. It´s such a juicy plant. Unless it stood in the dark for ages, they will flesh out in time fret not. ;)

3. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I have to disagree Ivory Impatiens Balsamina cuttings root easily in water existing stems buried would have no problem forming roots along the stem if you are in doubt about the conflicting advice mouli try burying a few the rest leave as Ivory suggests.

4. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    No sir, I am sure Walnut knows better, I followed my istinct more than knowledge. I have grown impatiens but not many, I bow to superior experience!

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Dear Ivory I don't consider myself superior to anyone certainly not you I am a great experimenter often going against what is convention sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't,plant propagation intrigues me,some of my plants in similar situations to Mouli's (rarer plants than impatiens) I have cut off and grafted onto stronger root stock if you don't try you wont succeed.;)[​IMG]

6. greenmouli

Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a pic of my Impatiens Balsamina's seedlings. Are they ready to be transplanted? Or do I wait for the leaves to grow bigger?

[​IMG]

7. greenmouli

Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I'd record the growth of the Impatiens from beginning:

16th Jul 2008
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20th Jul 2008
    [​IMG]

3rd Aug 2008
    [​IMG]

8. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    Mouli, I dont know what district you live in, but here in Manchester has been so wet and overcast this summer, that even the plants in the garden have grown leggy, probably due to lack of sunlight. I know this might not be of any help, but it could be the reason. 02

9. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Mouli let them grow a set of true leaves before transplanting them ,keep them moist and in bright light but not direct sunlight, the leaves you have now are the cotyledons (seed leaves) the next set that grow will be true leaves.

10. greenmouli

Ratings:
    +0
    takemore02withit: Hi! I'm from India and the Impatiens get bright light here, so that shouldn't be a problem at all.
    walnut: Hi! I really appreciate your valuable suggestions. Thanks a ton! And the seedlings have given out their first set of leaves after the cotyledons. You can look that in the photo below 3rd August 2008. The leaves are tiny though, so I was wondering if I should wait for them to get bigger.

11. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Here you go Mouli an extract from the rhs manual

After germination

As soon as the seeds have germinated move them to a bright area, removing the plastic bag, cloche or glass, and turning the pot frequently to avoid uneven growth (seedlings tend to grow towards the light).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When large enough to handle, transplant/prick out each seedling in its own pot of multi-purpose compost.
    Seedlings in shallow seed trays need transplanting promptly, handling them carefully by holding the seed leaves, rather than the emerging true adult leaves. Seedlings in modules can be left a little longer before transplanting, allowing their roots to fill the module, and then transplanting the whole plug of roots and compost in one go.
    Water regularly, as needed, and feed with liquid fertiliser every month, growing the seedlings on into small plants.

12. greenmouli

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the illustration walnut. Guess I gotta wait for those first true leaves to enlarge and give way for the second ones before I transplant. Will keep you all posted as to how it goes. :)

13. greenmouli

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All!
    Sorry for the late update but I did transplant four of them as an experiment and since this is my first time, I might have hurt their roots while transplanting or it was lack of enough water or too much of sun the next day? I don't know. Three of them gave up their fight leaving behind a lone warrior. I'm not sure if he'd live, but I'm not giving up on caring him, all the same. Let's see what Mother Nature instructs him... Will keep you all updated.

[​IMG]