Tall, slender evergreen trees?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Gardening Dunce, May 15, 2007.

1. Gardening Dunce

Gardening Dunce Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I will soon be getting my beloved old conifer removed from the rear corner of my garden, as my son-in-law killed it by savagely over-pruning the poor thing! The space is available between the back gate and the side fence is only just over a metre wide, so I've always had to keep the conifer trimmed back to allow the gate to open.

I am now looking for another tall, slender evergreen tree to plant in its place. Naturally, I will have to have the old conifer roots ground out. I will also have to dig a very large hole -which is not going to be very easy for a 60-year old woman with arthtritis! Then (if I succeed) I will either have to fill the hole with topsoil or sink some kind of large container into the ground and fill that.

Any advice on what type of container I could use? I was wondering about a galvanised dust bin, as it is the largest container I can think of - providing I could drill some drainage holes in it? (I'm still pretty handy with an electric drill!) ;)

Also, does anyone have any suggestions as to what tree might fit the bill? :confused:

2. Fonzie

Fonzie Gardener

Transportation
    Ratings:
    +15
    Cypress 'Sky rocket' I would go for those.

3. Gardening Dunce

Gardening Dunce Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Fonzie - I'll check that one out! Thanx