Tall & slender with the WOW factor

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Honey Bee, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    I am going to have a retaining wall outside the kitchen door. It is going to be 3 - 4ft high and, just to the left of the kitchen door as you look out, it will do a right angle, come toward you for 18", then right angle again and continue up the garden for about 3 feet.

I want to put a pot in the corner there, but as space is limited, it had to be tall, slender and have an absolute WOW :eek: :eek: factor.

I have thought about a tripod of clematis, morning glory, etc, but has anyone got any suggestions???? It doesn't need to be flowers, and will get afternoon sun.

Cheers!! :cool:

[ 15. June 2006, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Honey Bee ]

2. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Paris Hilton for Mr HB!

or alternatively how about Miscanthus, bamboo, arundo donax, or they do really good 5 foot clematis now, or canna musifolia, or passion flower, or another tree fern :D :D :D

3. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Ratings:
    +54
    oi!!!! He's got better taste than that, thank you!!!!! Did think about a TF, but it would have to be at leat 6ft tall trunk, otherwise people (mainly Mr HB, being 6'3")would have to duck under the fronds to get past......
    .... don't want grasses, already got a couple of passion flowers (have grand plans for them elsewhere...), same with the Bamboo......

I did wonder about a TF, but its the cost..... it certainly will have the WOW factor... hmmm... know any 6ft ones for under �£100?

4. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Ratings:
    +54
    Maybe, if we erect an arch........ what do you think?

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I put 3 tall Cosmos in a pot last year. They were certainly tall - nearly 6 foot including pot and had wow factor. 3 would be too bulky for your space.. I also put 3 Cleome in another pot - again nearly 6 foot and - WOW - they have spines.

6. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,199
    Hi PeterS!

I'm jealous .. I've never (here or England) had luck with Cleome. They are so beautiful .. what's the secret?

7. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Howzabout this:

Equisetum giganteum. I would be SO JEALOUS if you could get this going, really.

[​IMG]

Alternatively there is a similar looking crazy plant called Eupatorium capillifolium that is easy to grow and has total wow!! coming out of its stomata and looks a lot better than this thumbnail suggests:

[​IMG]

PS I am getting old. They both look more attractive and interesting than Paris Hilton to me...

[ 15. June 2006, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: jazid ]

8. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Ratings:
    +54
    Jazid - you are not getting old at all!! It just shows you have taste!! (but then its from a girlies' point of view)

The Equisetum giganteum certainly does have the WOW factor!! It is a distinct possibility....

9. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Difficult to grow if the web sites are to be believed. The Eupatorium is a stonker in the flesh. Please keep us informed.

10. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Jazid that Equisetum is really something! I understand that it can be quite invasive though - imagine that on the loose!

Hi Lady of Leisure, I only grew Cleome last year for the first time, and liked it so much that I am growing some more now. It seems to be quite straight foreward. I don't know why you should have had a problem. As its a half hardy annual - it must come from a warmer climate than the UK. So I don't see why it shouldn't grow in Portugal.

Edit: I have just read that Cleome comes from lower Brazil and Paraguay - sounds warmer than Yorkshire!

[ 16. June 2006, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: PeterS ]

11. Nik

Nik Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Honey Bee
    Strelitzia Nicolai looks stunning in a pot. I'll post a pic of mine in the morning.

12. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,199
    Re the Cleome, PeterS. I guess it's like everything else, some people have luck with some plants and others don't! :( I may be warmer here but I am on rock and red clay earth. I have used so many bags of "substrata" in the earth I have lost count! [​IMG] Should I find the seeds here, I will try again ... I never give up! :D

13. Dave_In_His_Garden

Dave_In_His_Garden Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    ARGH! I have the mini version of Equisetum giganteum (horsetail weed) EVERYWHERE in my garden. I spend most of my time trying to get rid of the stuff! I'm sure the large version looks very impressive, but I couldn't comprehend purposefully growing any more! ;)