Tap splitter & timer connection?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Small flower, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Small flower

Small flower Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys,

I've got a hozelock timer on my tap, which is linked to all my pipes for my automatic watering system, I bought this tap splitter today so that I could use the tap without disconnecting all the pipe etc (and also so that kids can use it and won't muck up any settings/buttons).

Only thing is the timer has a screw connection direct onto the tap - can I buy a connecter thing that will allow the timer to screw/clip onto the splitter?

I've attached some pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Hi Small Flower and welcome. the hose connector at the bottom of the timer will unsrew. Take it off and screw on your splitter.:thumb:

3. Small flower

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that David, but I want to put the timer on one of the prongs on the splitter, otherwise the kids will be messing around with the buttons on the timer to turn it on and off and thats what I want to avoid.

4. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  5. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Sorry Small Flower, but you have totally confused me. How is that going to stop the kids?:confused:

6. Small flower

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all - I've been to every gardening place around here, and I cannot find or fathom the piece I need (I am preggo at the mo - so it may just be my preggo brain!) - I need a female connector at one end and a screw fitting on the other, so that the I can screw the timer onto the splitter as per pics above.

If someone can find me a pic or a link to buy the piece from or even a part number that would be great! The link that spudbristol posted won't fit, as it has a smaller screw fitting - it needs to be big enough for the timer and not be a hose connecter - if that makes any sense!

In answer to your question David, the kids would then just use the splitter dial to turn the water on, and not muck around with the timer ie swithing to on/off from auto and actually unscrewing the connecter which connects the 7mm hose - and thus not putting everything back as it should be!

7. men8ifr

men8ifr Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I've just done the same thing and used a connector like spud suggested which clips onto the spiltter but the bottom needs a bit hacksawing off so that the screwthread that normally has the collar on to hold a hosepipe can be screwed into the timer. I also then used an extra rubber washer in there to stop it leaking.

8. Small flower

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah ok - that kinda makes sense men8ifr, I'll get hacksawing then! Thanks guys.

9. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
  10. katharita

katharita Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    :) David at a guess the left hand arm will have timer on and the right one hose for the kids to play with
    But they will be able to play with timer as well less they well trained
    :):)

11. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Why not use the equipment the way Hozelock meant for it to be used, and teach the children not to mess with it? That`s what good parenting is all about.:thumb:

12. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    @ Small flower

I think you might need

http://www.gardena.co.uk/catalog/index.cfm?lang=uk

then search for

1210-20

and you should see their "Twin tap connector".

It looks to me like the two hose connectors at the bottom are on screw threads, so you could take one off and put your timer on that. Worth asking them I reckon.

13. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668