Tax refund scam warning

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by clueless1, Oct 7, 2009.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Seeing as we've had a couple of scam warnings lately, I thought I'd chuck in this one. Our IT security people have just sent us all this email:

That's all I know on this one for now.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,995
  3. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    We have been getting these at work for some time.

My computer holds all the main email address we get for work, with the owner only having her own individual email addy on her computer.

On days off (like today) she will use my computer to access the main email accounts but knows she isnt to open anything unless she knows the sender. Anything else I deal with when i get back (She is not very good with computers but I am teaching her lol).

When these emails first started she opened one, but having listened to my constant nagging to her, she did nothing with it but printed it off and left it on my desk. She now knows she isnt to even open them!!

She did thought say that had this email come through a year or so ago (before i started nagging her about opening emails) she would have opened it and provided her details !!!

4. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    clueless ive been getting a load of these telling me ive got a tax amount due to me of £200 from inland revenue, ive ignored them and spammed them all, i knew i didnt have a tax refund as im not working and normally you get letters at home not through e-mails, reckon ive had at least 10 come through my pc. thanks for the warning anyway

5. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    It wouldn't work with me, I haven't paid income tax for years so I know I haven't got any refunds.

Of course, we all pay VAT but they don't refund that.