Reduced Tesco gardening reductions 2017

Discussion in 'Freebies, Offers & Bargains' started by Scrungee, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,996
    900g Vitax Q4 pelleted fertilizer, reduced from £5 to £1.50.

Not quite as good as last year when it went down to £1 on 28th July. Reduced - Vitax Q4 900g £1 at Tesco + lots more ...

There's a few small reductions on other stuff, but not down to bargain prices yet.

This was in a Tesco Extra, the amount of gardening items in smaller stores seems to be far less than other years, so not so much opportunity to clear out several stores when knocked right down.

• Informative Informative x 2
      Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      Nothing: repeat - no THING (!) could inspire me to shop at Mr T's :nonofinger:
      Yup, they may have "bargains" ... but, their customer service/management ethos errs on the side of: "The best form of defence is ATTACK"

As a "customer service"/customer satisfaction/down right good manners company they get a big fat ZERO from me. AKA They can stuff their "bargains" where the sun does not shine.

Horrendous company which does not inspire customer loyalty nor bargain bucket snap-up-ables :nonofinger:

Spend your hard earned with a company which actually "cares" about their customers (and even a £ shop gets a higher rating, in my book"!) :snooty:

Total waste of space! :nonofinger:

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Scrungee

Ratings:
        +28,996
        Funnily enough, just the other day we were pondering as to why we haven't been to Waitrose in some time, and agreed we'd stopped going there when they started charging us for our shopping.

I'm now off to checkout all the Amazon Prime Day deals (wangled my 3rd free trial from the awful evil Amazon) and next I'll be booking another cheapo Sun Hol via that dreadful paper but without buying a single issue.

• Like Like x 2
        • Funny Funny x 2
          Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
        • Rustler

Rustler Super Gardener

Retired (Early)
          Ratings:
          +1,217
          Now I may be wrong, but something tells me you don't really like Tesco's @"M"

• Funny Funny x 3
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            Don't know what gave you that idea @Rustler :whistle:
            :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 1
            • Scrungee

Ratings:
              +28,996
              Our vegan, supermarket hating student niece wont buy anything from any evil supermarket, only buying stuff from expensive wholefood, vegan, organic, trendy, small, ethical, independant stores or cafes, and very often the latter because she doesn't have the time to make anything from scratch because she's far too busy working to pay for her expensive ethical shopping.

And exactly what work does she do to support her expensive vegan, ethical, etc., beliefs? She works for Deliveroo delivering meaty pizzas on her bicycle for a major pizza chain :wallbanging: Many years ago when I knew loads of people in her city, they'd be quite happy to simply get an allotment.

• Funny Funny x 6
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Scrungee

Ratings:
                +28,996
                Now down to £1.25. I'm in at that price, especially as there was only a few left on the shelf

3.5 Kg tubs of Jack's Magic fertilizer now reduced to £3.50 (was £5.50). It's £12.96 at Homebase :yikes: Jack's Magic Plant Food - 3.5kg | Homebase

Terracotta pots half price.

Hanging baskets reduced by up to 75%.

N.B. If buying carboard boxes of fertilzer or chemicals for use next year, if the stuffve
                Inside isn't in sealed waterproof bags, keep them away sealed against condensation if kept in sheds, greenhouses etc., as the boxes (and contents) go soggy and disintegrate. I store mine in 10Kg buckets with snap on lids.

• Informative Informative x 2
                • Like Like x 1
                  Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
                • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  If that's any good for beans,i'll swap you a milking cow for it 15921.gif

• Funny Funny x 4
                  • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                    +8,083
                    @Scrungee I have no experience of Vitax. I'm in the middle of bl..dy stone picking an area of about 1/4 to 1/2 an acres which apart from lots of STONE is 90% subsoil. We are attempting to turn the area back into a usable (ok will never be good) paddock. I'm obviously going to have to use some sort of fertiliser to help the grass grow once sown. Would Vitax be suitable? At that price it's no doubt cheaper than what I could by at an agricultural outlet.It better keep well (noted and agreed 100% about storing that you usefully advised on, I use old redundant buckets we used to put our waste in pre wheelie bins) as this stone picking is not going to be finished for some time....maybe not in my lifetime:)

• Scrungee

Ratings:
                    +28,996
                    Sounds like you might need far more than the couple of packs you might find on the shelf (if any), so not worth a special journey, although last year I found 8 packs when it was £1.

P.S. Vitax is N:P:K 5.3:7.5:10 with Phos Pentoxide 2%, Mag Oxide 3% and trace elements
                    And JM is 6:8:10 with with Phos Pentoxide 2.5%, Mag Oxide 3.5% and trace elements

• Informative Informative x 1
                    • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
                      Ratings:
                      +4,304
                      Hi @silu - if it's subsoil surely you'll need organic matter rather than just fertiliser? I recommend horse manure - if you can find someone to deliver a large load, spread it out, hire a rotovator to incorporate it, then wait for the weeds to come up (there will be plenty). Then dig them in as green manure. It takes a while, but the soil will end up better, and so will the grass

• silu

Ratings:
                      +8,083
                      Probably right @Scrungee, I'll see when the time comes if I can beg some fertilizer of my neighbouring farmer. He uses lime and some other type of fertiliser for his fields.Thanks @CarolineL. You are quite right. Already have plonked (hope you like the technical term!) our manure heap on the area as we have a manure making machine commonly known as a horse. We clean his field everyday so all the newly "laid" is going on too. I have already resigned myself to not having the area ready until next year so that will give plenty of time for the manure to rot down. We have about 1/2 acre of grass to cut so the resulting mowings are going on too. We tried hiring a mini digger and rake for the vast amount of stone but the rake attachment wasn't what I would call a rake at all, more a sort of riddle thingy and the teeth were too far apart to get enough of the stone so nothing for it but to do by hand. Really needed to buy in topsoil but a) that's expensive and god knows what you'd get and b) the access isn't that good for huge lorries so that idea was scrapped. As long as we can get the area green be that with grass no doubt with plenty of weeds that's all we really want as don't need any more grazing for the neddy.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
                        +2,830
                        @silu Another vote for organic matter if it is mostly subsoil. Take whatever you can get in large quantity cheaply. Even fresh cow manure. Spread it and rotavate or cultivate it in, the more the better. Mr Redwing and I farmed on heavy clay for years. The best improver is manure. Presumably you will be resowing soon so best manure now.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
                      • silu

Ratings:
                        +8,083
                        Thanks @Redwing I'm not sure whether I'll have destoned enough to sow this year. Up here in Scotland I doubt I could sow past the middle of September but will check with neighbouring farmer the last possible time for it to germinate and survive the winter. I know many farmers up here prefer to sow in the Autumn as less weeds to worry about germinating If by chance I can get some cow manure (doubtful as the cattle courts around here will have been cleared out months ago I'd expect but I'll ask around)would there be time for it to be ok to sow onto in September if it's dug/rotavated in?
                        Farming on heavy clay wow that must have been very hard at times especially if you had animals. Luckily here is more on the sandy side than clay and the area I'm trying to return to as it was is on a reasonably steep slope so should drain ok despite the rotten subsoil. The soil here is not great but the garden's flower/veg beds now has a lovely top 6 inches or so after 16 years of having manure spread on them. I never have to use any fertilisers (use a bit of Lime for Brassicas) in the garden and only use Chempak Tomato feed for the Toms etc in the greenhouse.Even there I put in about 15 barrow loads of manure onto the beds (8 x 20 greenhouse) every year. I am not sure that people understand just how much manure you need to put on to make a difference......not a sprinkling:). On the veg beds I put on about 6 inches deep in the Autumn and dig it in when the weather allows.
                        People spend fortunes on buying fertilisers which do nothing for the structure of the soil when there will be usually free manure going a begging all over the place. I know of dozens of people who would almost pay you to get rid of their manure heaps and they usually have to pay a farmer to remove it. Ok there is a bit of hard work involved but horse manure once aged has no smell and eventually rots down to an appearance similar to peat/leaf mould.

• Like Like x 1
                        • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
                          +2,830
                          I think there is plenty of time to apply manure now, rotavate it in and sow by mid September. We both know the value of manure compared to chemicals. If you are able to sow this year you would have the beginnings of a decent pasture by this time next year.