Thank you gift for work colleagues

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Clueless 1 v2, Feb 17, 2023.

1. Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,769
    Hi all.

I'm going through 'interesting times' at the moment. I've had a fair bit of time off work sick.

I've kept my illness strictly 'need to know' to avoid worrying people as far as possible.

Two people at work know everything. They are my immediate boss, and a young lady in HR.

The level of support they have shown goes far beyond the minimum I'd expect for their roles, and even beyond what I'd expect from decent compassionate people. In a nutshell, they've gone far, far beyond professional expectations.

I'd like to show my gratitude, so I'm looking for ideas. Obviously I've expressed this to them verbally, but I had in mind that some token of gratitude randomly appears on their desks after the posty has been.

For my boss, that's easy. He's a bloke. A pack of beers and a card will be nice.

But I'm a bit stumped for the lady in HR, because the last thing I want to do is creep her out, receiving personal gifts from an older bloke and all that, so it has to be something completely neutral that can't be misconstrued.

Any ideas please?

• Like Like x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +22,468
      @Clueless 1 v2
      I've been in a not dissimilar position to you over the past year and I also received a lot of support from my line manager and a lady in HR. What I did was to thank them and say how much I appreciated their help and support.
      These days I don't think people say thank you, in a meaningful way enough it is more often a reflex action.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +32,854
      Thank you card and a bunch of flowers

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +8,016
      Heart warming- so good to hear that in today's world there are people who are going far beyond expected for another person. :)

If the HR lady and you have a bit of joking relationship, a mug or similar plus some flowers might be something she rarely gets from her clients. Humour would keep the occasion on a light hearted side to avoid any awkwardness while still giving the opportunity to express your gratitude.

upload_2023-2-17_17-59-18.jpeg

If she has a sweet tooth, a giant jar of sweets could be nice, John Lewis sell posh ones and for normal budgets places like Matalan or Posted Sweets sell nice looking pots. That could also give her the opportunity to share at work. A tray of cupcakes could work as well.
      [​IMG]

When it comes to flowers, yes please, they are very personal and always appreciated. I'd stay away from roses as roses do hint to a personal relationship, so perhaps something with Gerberas or other cheerful non- romantic ones? At this time of the year, tulips would be great.

A tip on flowers: look at how she dresses and copy the colour scheme. A person who wears bright colours will probably prefer a vibrant bouquet over a pastel shaded one, and muted coloured person might love something with a lot of green and pastels.

In the end, whatever you go for, the most important fact is that you give your sincere thanks to them. Even if you inadvertently get the actual gift wrong (I have given a bottle of wine to a muslim), it really is the thought that counts.

• john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +8,870
      Perhaps a nice Pot plant for her desk.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +53,823
      A voucher for a local coffee shop perhaps.

• Clueless 1 v2

Ratings:
      +2,769
      Thanks all. Some good tips and ideas here. I'll get something ordered tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
      • Clueless 1 v2

Ratings:
        +2,769
        In the end I went for something which I believe is quite neutral. I ordered an afternoon tea pack from M&S, which basically has biscuits and cakes in it in a gift box. I can't see how that can possibly be misconstrued as anything other than a token of thanks.

I did the exact same one for my boss, so if the young lady colleague reads anything unintended into it, my boss can just say he got the same.

• Like Like x 2