Thats Shallot....

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Bob flemming, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Bob flemming

Bob flemming Gardener

Professional wall and floor tiler.
    Ratings:
    +1
    Evening all Bob Flemming here,

Being a novice Shallot grower i would like some advice on the following questions if you would be so kind.

When are the shallots ready for pulling ,my green shoots are Massive and still growing.

When i have taken my shallots up what do i do in terms of storing them drying out etc and how long does it take before i can commence pickling?

Many thanks to those who wish to reply:thumb:

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,992
    The leaves will turn yellow soon Bob, probably mid July ish. Thats the time to lift them, shake off any soil, seperate the bulbs and dry them in the sun. I have some old wire netting to put mine on so the sun and wind really get all around them to properly dry them out. After a couple of weeks drying I choose a really dry day and put them in my cool dark garden shed. I have some wire racking, but you can net them up and hang them so air circulates, you don't want them getting damp. They will store until next Spring. You can pickle them anytime. Theres nothing like home made pickled shallots, its funny serving them to your friends who might think they are just normal pickled onions - they can be very fiery!

3. Labrador

Labrador Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine are about two to three weeks away from lifting. Excellant crop this year probably one of the best, certainly better than last years effort.

4. Manteur

Manteur Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I prefer to start picking anything as soon as ready/as we have any use for. It's always nice to have a bit of fresh. For instance, green garlic is a pleasant change from mature.
    I would say, if you have a recipe with shallots in, then pull and use just what you need for that recipe.