The Best Pansy Planting Time

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by HarryS, Nov 4, 2012.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    I'm not a great autumn/ winter gardener , I'll finish planting the Tulip,Crocus and Daff bulbs by the middle of this month , then sit back and wait.
    I used to plant Pansies about now but they always seem to lie there looking pretty sad all winter until early spring . This year I planted them late Feb and got a really good display in containers. What time do other GC'ers plant them :scratch:

While browsing I came across an American local plant name "Johnny Jump Up " , a great name , anyone else know what it is ? ( No Googling now ---tut tut )

[​IMG]

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,318
    Hi H

They are called winter pansies but depending how cold it gets they dont flower properley until spring , I think its just a ploy for us to spend out ££ .

Plus the ones we are buying now have only just come out of the greenhouse and covered in flowers , soon slow down once planted out in to our cold wet gardens.

Spruce ps I havnt a clue with the Johnny thing ?

3. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,026
    Mine look very sorry for themselves and the leaves are all speckled with black spots.

4. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    I grew beds of violas a few years back. They looked wonderful for a couple of years and then suddenly, one by one, they died. It was "pansy sickness". I now only grow them as isolated spring plants to discard later. However, one viola....lost its name.......has been truly perennial and flowers the whole summer through every year making a spread of 3' of purple blue flowers. There are others I have grown successfully and that I split in mid summer but they don't last too long. I sense pansies and violas are becoming vulnerable to diseases ...so many people are complaining about them lately.

• Like Like x 2
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      American local plant name "Johnny Jump Up "is a Viola !
      We don't have a pansy virus as well do we now Verdun ?:gaah: My November Pansy planting last year all went belly up . So I am sticking to a Feb planting from visual healthy GC stock.
      I planted Viola Rebecca last year, I am hoping they do well this year.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,486
      HarryS, I think it best to plant violas as isolated plants....as singles. To mulch and feed well and to split when flowering is beginning to go over. I then pot them up and cut hard back and plant out again when strong new growth occurs