The Coronation.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by pete, May 4, 2023.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,982
    Any thoughts, My personal ones are that I kind of like all the ceremony but to be honest I think the family stinks.
    All this Camilla stuff with her becoming Queen just seems wrong bearing in mind the history behind it all.
    I see where Harry is coming from but I think he's going about it all wrong and dont mention Meghan, what a silly person she appears to be, as if she didn't know what she was getting into.
    That's without mentioning randy Andy, the whole bunch are a disaster.

• Like Like x 1
    • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +8,898
      I think the late Queen was a wonderful person trying to keep her family in order.
      I will probably watch some parts with the sound down, if it's is raining:whistle:

• Like Like x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,769
        I think it would be wise to avoid all the pubs and drinking strips this weekend. It's going to be carnage. I think regardless of people's views on the royals, there's going to be plenty of people just using it an excuse to drink constantly all weekend and then try to fight.

Actually, thinking about it, it might be a good opportunity to take the kids to watch from a safe distance. It would be a good lesson in how not to behave, and how utterly ridiculous people look when they try to fight when they can barely even stand up.

As for the royals, I have no beef with most of them. I'm indifferent to them. But I do think king Charlie is a good lad.

• Like Like x 3
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +15,303
          Plenty of thoughts! Thank goodness that Charles is going to have the opportunity to fulfill the destiny that he's had to wait so long for. Hopefully he'll do that with as much dignity as his mother did. Afterwards, well, I'm glad I won't be around to care :biggrin:
          Why is it wrong that the King's wife becomes queen? They should have been married in the first place, but protocol demanded a young, single, eligible breeder, which is what was imposed on him. (Plus Camilla turned him down :biggrin:). Do you subscribe to the Saint Diana version of events? I don't.
          I'd just love to be able to see into the future history books when the truth will out :)

• Like Like x 1
          • pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +91,982
            I just think he should have had the guts and common sense not to marry Diana, and he should have married Camilla in the first place regardless of the consequences, it would have saved a lot of bad feeling all round.
            Its caused all the infighting that is now going on, and to be honest has all turned out a total disaster, the family is just a complete mess.

• Agree Agree x 2
            • noisette47

Ratings:
              +15,303
              He proposed to Camilla long before he married Diana, but she turned him down! Thank goodness it all worked out right in the end....a fairytale ending :biggrin: (Sort of..)

• Creative Creative x 1
              • Clueless 1 v2

Ratings:
                +2,769
                I have a feeling that if the media were to pick out literally any family, anywhere, they'd find enough drama to report on for years. The royals only get their media coverage because of their status. You wouldn't have to look very far to find a family where someone married the wrong person, where there's tension and poo stirring among the in laws, where the brothers keep fighting and falling out, and where one of the kids married someone that the family didn't really like.

• Agree Agree x 7
                • pete

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +91,982
                  While I dont think Diana was a saint, she was definitely "used" by the royal family and Charlie was the main participant, now suddenly he gets it all.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +53,883
                  Think back to Henry VIII Pete. :)

I agree with Clueless. There's not many families that can honestly say they haven't got a skeleton or two in the cupboard. With the media scrutinizing the royal family all the time it's impossible to keep their lives private.

I'll be watching the coronation after the event online - not having a tv.

• Like Like x 2
                  • Clueless 1 v2

Ratings:
                    +2,769
                    Charlie didn't really choose his life though. Well he did, he could have refused to tow the line, like one of his sons did, but short of betraying his mam, he had to pretty much do as he was told.

Even when his mam had only just died, tradition and public expectation required him to go to a very public ceremony, keep and straight face, and listen to someone proclaim the queen (his mam) is dead, long live the king. That can't have been easy for him.

He's spent much of his life campaigning for a better world, where nature is protected, and young disadvantaged kids get a fair chance, and prior to becoming king he was at times very vocal when he saw unfairness and injustice. But now he's king, tradition dictates he has to keep his mouth shut and be completely impartial. That must be hard for someone that's spent best part of 70 years actively campaigning.

• Agree Agree x 4
                    • Like Like x 2
                    • noisette47

Ratings:
                      +15,303
                      I'd say that she was just as adept at using them! She certainly knew how to manipulate the media, or who to employ to do it for her. Had she lived, there's no doubt that she would have brought the family into (more?) disrepute, by association. All in all, the past is best forgotten and if (once?) Harry's histrionics are treated with the disdain that they deserve, the King and Queen can get on with trying to reign in a dignified manner and continue to gain the respect of the rest of the world.

• Like Like x 3
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                        Ratings:
                        +122,366
                        When he was much younger he said he would prefer not to be heir and would quite happily be shovelling poo on his farm in Cornwall! (told to me by one of the King's Guards at Buck House and by one of the Household employees).

I'm not so sure he will manage to keep his mouth shut on some of the things but he has learnt to be more diplomatic about it nowadays.

Re the marital shenanigans:- I'm not interested in who did what with whom!

• Like Like x 4
                        • pete

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +91,982
                          Thinking back to Henry VIII, yes, this kind of thing, went on then,you would have thought it would have been frownd on in modern times.
                          But the Royal family seem to think it's ok to run their lives as if they were breeding horses still.
                          I think Diana was pretty young and green when she got involved and became part of a royal plot, Camilla was already on the scene but she probably didn't realise at the time, of course once she got older and realised she had been sucked into the spiders web that the system is she decided to cause trouble.
                          Which I think was quite understandable.

• roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +7,092
                          They are wondering how Harry is to get to the Coronation.
                          Apparently it’s on Megan’s broomstick.

• Funny Funny x 4
                          • lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +5,070
                            I think it's disgraceful behaviour and she should have been there to support her husband or he should have stayed away aswell ...still it'll all go towards the next book or netflix series :rolleyespink:...
                            Funny innit..Our King was good enough to walk her down the aisle yet between them they've done nothing but slate our Royals when it suits...

God save the KING:yes:

• Like Like x 3
                            • Agree Agree x 1