The Eden Project

Discussion in 'Garden Visits' started by Fran, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Well you can't go to Cornwall and not visit the Eden Project. The term spectacular comes to mind, and the organisation, from park and ride for those who would rather not walk the steep slopes, to the visitor centre - and of course the biomes. Apparently a third is planned, for the desert arid regions - in addition to the humid tropical and the warm temperate.

The place is very much themed, in respect of plants and their uses - whether it be vegies or palms, plus a strong element of conservation. They are self sufficient in water, and hope to be soon self sufficient in heating. An amazing place and well worth a visit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nicsdad

nicsdad Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Going next week, ca,nt wait! never been to cornwall before. I,ve got a 2 for 1 ticket from gardeners world mag. we are going to a few N.T. gardens while we,re there.

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Make sure you arrive early before the masses arrive. With tickets, you'll avoid any queau, but you need time to gawk, without hordes of people pressing onwards. The numbers attending have to be seen to be believed.

I arrived at 9.30, the biomes open between then and 10, so you got time for a coffee. Then you can stroll the biomes and the core (which I didn't see) at your leisure, and leave the outside biome til the end.

4. nicsdad

nicsdad Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Fran, Camping in St Ives, so up early and on the road. Roll on next week.

5. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Nicsdad,
    While you're down here try and fit in a visit to Trebah Gardens, Mawnan Smith nr Falmouth. Absolutely fantastic place, it's next door to a NT garden, Glendurgan; and both are well worth a visit; although completely different from each other. IMHO Trebah is the best garden down here by far, and there's a lot to choose from ;)
    Have a lovely holiday, but if you're pootling along and see an irate woman in a Saxo in your rear view mirror, kindly move over and let me pass :D :D

6. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Hi, My parents used to live just outside Falmouth, their favourite gardens were Trebah and Glendurgan- My dad's ashes were scattered there and they have a bench dedicated to both of them.There is an enormous tulip tree in Glendurgan, i've not seen a bigger one. Happy Memories!
    Many a cutting and seed fell into their pockets....

7. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Well that confirms that I need to do another trip to Cornwall. Next time I will ask for some good gardens to visit before I go. :(

8. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    There's so many, Fran, all different and all beautiful. Do you belong to the National Trust?
    [​IMG]

9. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    That's lovely Liz that your dads ashes were scatterd at the garden. Both Trebah and Glendurgan are, aswell as being fantastic gardens, are also great for kids. And my 3 terrors always find a (rare) sense of peace there. Trebah especially has a great rapport with the local school, who have a willow room in the grounds and a sensory garden and sculptures, all done in colaboration with the garden. One of the best events we've been to there in recent years was to commemorate the D-Day landings that went from there. Very touching and a real education, not just for the kids. :cool:

10. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes indeed Liz, been a member for many years - but I don't remember those two gardens in my book.

Next time I go down, I'll ask for your recommendations.

11. GREENWIZARD

GREENWIZARD Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    would love to visit cornwall but i'll make do for now by looking at your pics F [​IMG]

12. flowerofshona

flowerofshona Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have free tickets to go but just havent had the time yet but i MUST go !!!
    Thanks for the pictures the bee made me smile [​IMG]

13. macleaf

macleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The Eden Project is i agree without equal,however if you are on a limited budget take your own food as the food is rather expensive,we visited it when they were building it they had a viewers platform and came around with sweets while waiting to be taken around the site [​IMG]

14. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm driving to Cornwall tomorrow. The Eden Project and the Lost Gardens of Heligan are on the agenda. As we only have two days there we will have to save the other gardens for another trip, perhaps next May or June. Although we haven't seen all that Kent has to offer yet on our doorstep.

15. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We're off to Fowey in a couple of weeks just for 2 nights Rich - so we'll be doing just Eden and Heligan too! [​IMG] Have a great time!