The End of the World is Nigh!

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by lollipop, Sep 9, 2008.

1. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
  2. The Nut

The Nut Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ive seen a bigger hole that that.... my ex mother in laws GOB :)

3. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    I think the last paragraph in the article sums it up. Big toys for big boys, a piece of harmless indulgence for the eggheads to play with. It's a shame they couldn't find a better use for the billions of dollars it's cost to create.

4. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hmm! Before they tested the first nuclear bomb many reputable scientists were afraid that it would set off a chain reaction that would destroy the world. They still set it off:)
    As I belong to a couple of Science sites I'll go with their opinion but just in case they're wrong, I'll have a couple of extra beers and a cuddle, just in case:D

5. The Nut

The Nut Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    awwww Caj what a sweetie u r :)

6. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    My 14 yr old son saw his 11yr old sister doing her hair earlier on. After a day of frightening her with all of this he says just before she tries to sleep at night-"who are you doing your hair for? God?"

I just couldn`t tell him off for laughing.

7. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Yep, they could have put more billions of dollars in fighting wars in places like Iraq. :D

8. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Carl we don't go in for name calling on here,
    I think the experiment will greatly benefit mankind and has done so already it's not the first collider to be built it's just the biggest,
    While some think there is a possibility of creating micro-black holes, the chances are extremely remote and even if it happened, they would be smaller than a proton, so small they would either evaporate immediately, or would pass through the Earth without hitting anything.
    Although the energy achieved by the particle beams sounds immense, particles hit the atmosphere every day which are much more energetic. On October 15, 1991, the Fly's Eye in Utah detected a proton (called the OMG particle) with an energy of 3.2±0.9e20 ev. By comparison, the LHC will collide particles at 1.4e13 ev -- 20 million times less.
    The LHC is much, much, much less dangerous than to have built tens of thousands of thermonuclear warheads, which are now at risk of falling into terrorists hands.
    As far benefits, think of how much scientific research has led directly to tremendous advances in medicine (X-rays, CAT scans, PET scans), agriculture, and countless other achievements that save and extend lives, and make life easier, not to mention the ability for us to communicate like this,how many of you would put science in the background and go back to the middle ages not many methinks.

9. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
  10. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Right everyone-Hold Your Breath..........................:ntty:

11. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    Walnut, I found your post most reassuring after facing the morning with trepidition. Thank you very much. :):thumb:

12. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Well I sometimes wake up and think the end of the world might be a blessed relief, go for it I say;) :thumb:

Although strictly speaking if they were doing it properly, they should be doing it on a Monday and taking Sunday off :o:D

13. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Interesting link Walnut, thanks for posting.

How long is this thing going to be working? - just wondered.

Have found this on a report:
    "The LHC will produce beams seven times more energetic than any previous machine, and around
    30 times more intense when it reaches its design performance, probably by 2010. "

:doh: so that means it will be going for ages doesn't it ?
    and how many millions of £s will it cost to run???

14. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    It will continue to run until something better comes along.

15. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407

Billions ! certainly enough to give every hungry person in the world something to eat today ! :mad: