The Gardens of the Rose are re-opening soon!

Discussion in 'Roses' started by UsedtobeDendy, May 23, 2007.

1. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I have many fond memories of the Gardens of the Rose, in Chiswell Green, on the edge of St Albans - they closed down for refurbishment a couple of years ago, and are about to re-open soon, so if you're in the area on the 9th of June, it's the place to be! ;)Oh, and they're looking for someone to work on the turnstile!

http://www.rnrs.org/

2. Dorsetmike

Dorsetmike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I saw that, but it's a bit far for us to do in a day trip and pensions tend to put a limit on your overnight stays.
    We will have to content ourselves with Mottisfont and maybe Cranborne Manor. If anybody is going to Gardens of the rose with a camera though pictures would be much appreciated, I hope to take some more for my Mottisfont gallery at Fotopic.
    Cheers MIKE

3. compost maker

compost maker Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I live near in Lancashire. Are there any Rose Gardens worth seeing within a 2 hour drive?

4. Dorsetmike

Dorsetmike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jean, I'll have a look in the morning, this month's Gardening Which had quite a few listed. Would do it now but I've been told it's bed time.

5. Dorsetmike

Dorsetmike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jean, the list in GW has the nearest to you as being Haddon Hall, in Derbyshire near Bakewell, I would guess that's stretching 2 hours driving.

A quick Google does not reveal much either, Castle Howard near York or the David Austin rose gardens on the Shropshire/Staffordshire border at Albrighton, just off the M54

Sorry I can't be of more help